Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on Beth

Post Thanks / Like
    Little bit of an update on Beth

we had our appointment and after social worker tried her hardest to put Beth on continuing health we stood our ground. She will stay under social care and has gotten a one to one in her new respite bungalow. The SW did warn me she will do everything to over power me but i am not worried and hopefully Beth will now fall into the huge black hole and they will forget her and she will continue to get the package for a while. Its all to do with money.

She has continued to lose weight but thankfully she has a new dietician who listens to us and talks sense. I have a multi agency meeting at 3pm over this and we are going to tell them what we want and they need to get on and do it.

We also had some bad news about her spine, some of you would have read about it on FB. Beth had spinal surgery in 2006 and the surgeon only put half rods in and because beth has not hip joint on her right hip she has continued to curve and twist making seating difficult. The surgeon wants to remove her rods, break her spine and put full rods in. We have said no for now and will review in a year. It will all be down to her seating and if the wheelchair clinic think she will have issues with this in the future then we will look at having it done then. We need to get weight on to her and her seizures under some control as they are not good at the moment. beth is being her usual happy go lucky young lady as she always is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the good news is that you've fought for her benefits and won. The SW sounds like a bit of an "anti-social" worker. :(

Sorry to hear about the proposed spinal operation though. That's pretty severe stuff.

Let's hope the dietician will continue to listen to and work with you. Getting some weight on the girlie is an important thing.

Thank you for the update on Beth!

Take care Michelle!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the update

Always amazes me that people think they know what's best and wont listen to you. As you say though, all about money
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done on standing your ground Michelle.

You are an amazing mum and it's good to hear that the new dietician is listening to you - fingers crossed Beth puts on some weight.

Keep us posted on the spinal surgery too.

How lovely yo hear Beth is her usual happy self - makes it all worthwhile

Sandra xx
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

It is so annoying when SW think they know best!! grrr

Have you ever thought about getting an advocate to work with you?

If you PM your local authority and area where you live, I can use my contact at work to find nearest advocate who may be able to work with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would make a totally useless Social Worker. I would keep putting people before budgets. I'm glad Beth is still happy, smilie Beth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank goodness people are finally listening to you!!! You know your daughter and whats best for her, it makes me so cross when "professionals" dont listen to the parents.
    Sorry to hear that Beth will need another op, sounds like a a major operation

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad you stood your ground S/W really should be more person centred and not so fixed on budget, which I know are there for a reason but give the money to the people who need it, too many people in this world know how to work the systerms and get everything going even if they shouldn't,
    I see what damage some S/W can do when I am working so I know how hard you would have had to push for what you rightfully should get.
    Fingers crossed it stays that ways and keep us updated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire, post: 221820
    I would make a totally useless Social Worker. I would keep putting people before budgets.

On the contrary!

It may not be her decision. The manager will be pushing and things are very tight. everyone talks of protecting the NHS but what about social care?

I'll shut up now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all. Beths feed she has through her peg has been upped. The teacher was not happy but the nurse and dietician put her in her place. She does not want the extra work. All the professionals were rolling their eyes. It was quite embarrassing the way the teacher was going on. Beths main diet is through the peg now with anything else she eats as a bonus.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast