Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: C'mon the Netherlands

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I have Germany in my other pool and since I lived there for 13 years I have to pull for them. Immer wieder Deutschland.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Spain are capable of the better football , bus in the tournament Germany has played the better football - so it could be a cracking game

John - interested to know, as you lived in Europe for a while , did you manage to pick up on the game and begin to appreciate the more esoteric aspects of the game - movement off the ball etc that gives the game the nicknmae ' the beautiful game' - al lot of my US friends see it as 'boring' as it is usually low scoring - yet some of the very best games I have been to have been 0 -0 draws filled with drama skill and theatre. The other point is in countries other than the US football is followed to an almost fanatical level with really intese rivalrys between clubs - usually we are born into families that support a certain club ( usually within driving distance of the stadia) and we follow that team through thick and thin - in the US I wonder if there is the same intensity given the sometimes vast distances between the teams in the NFL ,people can hardly finish work and go to an 'away game' that night.

Only found out the other day that Soccer is an abbreviation of association football

Clearly as we invented it we get to name it , and TBH it does involve principally the foot and a ball ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 222250
    Spain are capable of the better football , bus in the tournament Germany has played the better football - so it could be a cracking game

John - interested to know, as you lived in Europe for a while , did you manage to pick up on the game and begin to appreciate the more esoteric aspects of the game - movement off the ball etc that gives the game the nicknmae ' the beautiful game' - al lot of my US friends see it as 'boring' as it is usually low scoring - yet some of the very best games I have been to have been 0 -0 draws filled with drama skill and theatre. The other point is in countries other than the US football is followed to an almost fanatical level with really intese rivalrys between clubs - usually we are born into families that support a certain club ( usually within driving distance of the stadia) and we follow that team through thick and thin - in the US I wonder if there is the same intensity given the sometimes vast distances between the teams in the NFL ,people can hardly finish work and go to an 'away game' that night.

Only found out the other day that Soccer is an abbreviation of association football

Clearly as we invented it we get to name it , and TBH it does involve principally the foot and a ball ;)
    Chris when I lived in Stuttgart 1976-1979 I had season tickets for VfB Stuttgart. I went to every home game and a good many of their road games on the train. They were a second league team when I started following them and went into the first league in 1977. Their first home game that year was against Moenchengladbach, the defending league champions. My mother was due in at the Frankfurt Airport that morning. I picked her up and told her she had the choice of me dropping her off at my apartment so she could get some rest or she could go to the game with me. Now mind you my mom was NOT in any way shape or form a sports fan. But she chose to go to the game. Stuttgart won, and we had a few beers after while we celebrated in my favorite Bierstube.

Donna thinks this is just another football game even though I keep telling her this is the WORLD CUP

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    :D excellent thanks for that John, I really hope it catches on in the States in the same way it is seeminggly embraced by the rest of the globe, it is probably one of the only truely global sports - yeah the olympics is as well but different countries compete in different events, here everyone is playing the same game. The US national team has come on in leaps and bounds in the last decade and I really hope that that starts to fire the imagination of the US people. I remember a Simpsons episode where they were ripping into football as being really boring.

Post Thanks / Like
    im hoping spain do it tonight
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 222263
    :D excellent thanks for that John, I really hope it catches on in the States in the same way it is seeminggly embraced by the rest of the globe, it is probably one of the only truely global sports - yeah the olympics is as well but different countries compete in different events, here everyone is playing the same game. The US national team has come on in leaps and bounds in the last decade and I really hope that that starts to fire the imagination of the US people. I remember a Simpsons episode where they were ripping into football as being really boring.
    When I first moved back to the DC area the MLS was just getting going and I remember folks like Pele and Franz Beckenbauer among others being recruited to play for some of the teams in that league. I attended a couple of DC United games but there just is not the same intensity that I witnessed in Europe, perhaps because they were playing before only 1/2 full or less stadiums, perhaps some other reason. I do know that a lot of the folks that really follow DC United are of Hispanic descent however. I think perhaps, the biggest problem, here in the US is that we are just too darn big. In England, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, The Netherlands, etc. you can easily follow your home team no matter where they are playing within their leagues. Here that is a LOT more difficult. I loved the closeness in Germany. Would love to see a Premiere League game some day and don't really care who, I would just like to see one. I do hope that it continues to grow here in the US though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah I had a feeling the size made a difference, I used to go to all the home games and probably 80% of the away games for my club when I was younger, then watch my county play cricket in the summer - a game that will never ever make it to the US I'm sure

I suppose the only way it could really work in the US would be to have a division within each state

Its worth coming to a game just to hear the singing :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Well now that Spain have eliminated Germany I'm going to root for The Netherlands.

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    It will be good watching the final not caring who wins

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast