The Moroccan Showcase in Epcot is home to Restaurant Marrakesh, a North African-style sultanís palace that offers a culinary adventure for guests. the menu includes Harira soup and Moroccan pastries as well as many wonderful savory entrees. The Chicken Tajine is a a very popular example.
Chicken Tajine With Preserved Lemon & Olives
2 1/2 pound chicken, washed, dried and cut into quarters
1/4 cup olive oil
2 large onions, chopped
1 bunch fresh parsley, finely chopped
1 teaspoon freshly-chopped ginger
1 teaspoon freshly-chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1 pinch saffron
2 cups water
1/2 cup green and/or black olives, pitted
2 preserved lemons, sliced (see note)
1. In a large saucepan, heat olive oil and saute the onions. Add chicken, breast-side down, and brown.
2. Add parsley, ginger , garlic, white pepper and saffron. Cook 10 minutes, turning the chicken occasionally.
3. Add water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 45 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken and place on a tajine or serving dish.
4. Cook the remaining sauce for 5 minutes to reduce volume and concentrate flavors. Add olives and lemons.
5. Add sauce to chicken and serve.
Recipe note: Preserved lemons are sold a gourmet stores and specialty markets