Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Career change....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 223976

I totally understand its a lifechanging decision but you have to be able to look back on what you do now in the future without regret..No one wants too many if only's... in their lives

I am shocked there is nowhere in Wales that will do the MA though
    Well...... Many university (medical School) are not that keen to recruit a Deaf student especially Student Nurse.

Salford University created a course specially for Deaf people to become qualified Nurse and that project sort of finish (Project 2000) however, they just carried on recruiting Deaf students and 'treat' them the same.

One local University made it clear that they are not keen to recruit me as it was 'complicated' for them(!)

Post Thanks / Like
    :dozey:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 223979
    :dozey:
    Indeed...

I think many medical school struggle to 'move away' from the ideology that not all Deaf people are 'broken' or need to be repaired. Some Deaf people do not see themselves disabled but member of linguistic minority.

This concept is fairly new for many people in medical field.

I recall my doctor was so horrified when I said that I am proud to be Deaf and the thought of being able to hear is terrifying and if this does happen to me. I would want an operation to remove all of the hearing.....

I was expecting a white van to turn up!

Post Thanks / Like
    The very first thing I learned from my ASL instructor a Born Deaf Woman was, "I am not handicapped."

It is NOT a disability to be deaf. It is a state of being that is just as valid and beautiful and full of nuances as hearing. That we cannot experience the beauty of being deaf does not disparage that ability at all.

I've lost touch with the deaf community through the years (moved away from my center of inclusion) and miss it greatly.

A deaf nurse would be a huge asset to any medical team. Those that don't understand that are the ones who lose the benefit of understanding yet another way of being, another aspect of being full and real...

Ugh. Sorry. I do get on that soapbox now and then.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 223995
    The very first thing I learned from my ASL instructor a Born Deaf Woman was, "I am not handicapped."

It is NOT a disability to be deaf. It is a state of being that is just as valid and beautiful and full of nuances as hearing. That we cannot experience the beauty of being deaf does not disparage that ability at all.

I've lost touch with the deaf community through the years (moved away from my center of inclusion) and miss it greatly.

A deaf nurse would be a huge asset to any medical team. Those that don't understand that are the ones who lose the benefit of understanding yet another way of being, another aspect of being full and real...

Ugh. Sorry. I do get on that soapbox now and then.
    Not to worry :-) it nice to have someone who understands...

I have booked my place at the open day in november GULP!!!!!! I have gone much much further than I ever have in the past.....

Normally it would be window shopping whereas now I am seriously looking into it....

SCARY!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with whatever you decide Jeff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you Jeff, well done!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    No, being deaf is not a disability. However, we DO have a deaf and hard of hearing caseload. The counselor herself is hard of hearing and is a PHENOMENAL advocate for her clients.

Good luck in your goal!! You can do it

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's great that you're considering a change of career if it will make you happy :) I've recently done the whole UCAS thing so if you need a hand then just let me know. I'm sure you've got it covered though.

I cannot believe that people will refuse you because you are deaf. I hope you don't mind me saying this but your posts have really opened my eyes to how many barriers there are for deaf people. I really thought in this day and age that deaf people would be catered for. After all, it's not a disability.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12