Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Purpose "We're Going to New York" Thread!

Post Thanks / Like
    Right,

It seems that New York is the second destination of choice this summer, I can think of four or five of us that have been, or are about to go. So I thought that seeing as how we’ve probably all done a bit of research, we could share our findings and discuss our plans!

Firstly… how long are we all staying for? We’re on the Birmingham flight out on Sunday August 22 and get back on Monday the 29th. There’s six of us (Me and DGF, her parents, her sister and my best mate, who are dating). We’ve got seven day New York Passes already (bought them off ebay – a slight risk, but the seller had lots of positive feedback for these items, and the saving was incredible). Our plan of action is sort of like this:

Sunday – arrive, limo to Manhatten (actually just as cheap as 6 seats on a shuttle bus). In manhatten and sorted by 2-3pm. A walk around the local times square area as only me and lou have been before; and hopefully we’ll have time to catch the King Tut Exhibit. We aren’t planning on anything elaborate for dinner, depending on how people feel we may grab some pizza at PAX.

Monday – cruise around the island. This takes about three hours, and we’ll be doing it first thing in the morning. The afternoon will be spent walking around madame toussauds, and then we’ll walk along fifth avenue in the evening. I don’t imagine being able to keep them away from it for long! Moda give pass holders a free drink too, so we’ll pop in there.

Tuesday – Statue of Liberty. Although the pass covers this I can’t get a straight answer out of ANYONE as to whether it covers the museum inside the monument, so I bought the tickets for this separately – they only cost $12 from statuecruises.com, so it was a bargain to be certain. We’re hitting Ellis island for the first time too. I imagine that as we’re booked in for 10am we’ll be done by about 2/3, so we’re gonna go straight to the financial district to observe the WTC. The pass covers a walkaround tour that a local museum do, so we’ll be doing that, time permitting. Century 21 is here too, so a bit of retail therapy may be in order! I think we’ll be eating at planet Hollywood, the pass gives you $10 per person off, so it won’t be THAT expensive.

Wednesday – A walk over to ’30 Rock’. We’ll be doing the radio city backstage tour, the NBC experience tour, and the top of the rock observation deck. Yes, they’re all in the pass…

Thursday – Madison Square Garden Tour, Empire State Building / Skyride. Not sure what we’ll do with the late afternoon, probably go back and change as it’s early dinner (possibly in the olive garden), and Wicked at about 7.30…

Friday – Central Park, The Met, The Zoo, and the Dakota Building. Anything else is a bonus!

Saturday – Last day with the pass, so anything extra that tickles our fancy – but most likely a shopping day, with plenty of walking around. Hopefully go down to little Italy for dinner – we’ll be sticking to simple stuff / chains, as lou’s sister and mom are funny eaters!!

Sunday – Catch anything we missed, make sure we’ve been to 53rd and 3rd (It’s a rod stewart thing for Lou’s dad). Pack! We have a late night flight / arriving back at about 8am Monday. Good job it’s a bank holiday, I’m gonna need a rest!!

If any of you have any tips, please let me know – and any questions, please ask away!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have any tips Mark. You are packing lots in, we're not that organised.

We arrive this Saturday an have booked bikes in Central Park for Sunday and will leave pm open - *( Butterhead on here) has given me some dining tips of various restaurants that are good so we'll try to get to some of them over our 4 days.

Monday we have Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island tour booked and Tuesday we have Empire State Building booked.

Apart from that, we'll just choose what to do when there.

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by arkvilla, post: 224678
    I don't have any tips Mark. You are packing lots in, we're not that organised.

We arrive this Saturday an have booked bikes in Central Park for Sunday and will leave pm open - *( Butterhead on here) has given me some dining tips of various restaurants that are good so we'll try to get to some of them over our 4 days.

Monday we have Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island tour booked and Tuesday we have Empire State Building booked.

Apart from that, we'll just choose what to do when there.

Sandra
    I don't think you could pay me to do bikes in this heat. Enjoy.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    We go August 5th for 9 nights and I have hardly done anything - in fact Mark I might just print off your itinerary and be done with it! lol

I have booked for Caitlin and I to have lunch at The American Girl Place and then on to see Wicked! Colin and Daniel are at a Yankees/Redsox game the same afternoon.

Also just booked seats on megabus to go to Philadelphia one day - they were so cheap that if we don't end up using them we haven't lost a lot.

We have the 7 day NY passes as well - do we have to prebook the tours do you know?

I have a list of restaurants and shops I would like to go to and I just need to sticky note them into my guide book in the correct areas.

Can't believe I go in two weeks and that is all that I have done - don;t know whats the matter with me!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure to visit the apple store on 5th Ave :) It's like the mothership!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 224686
    Haha Josh - I can pretty much guarantee we won't be doing this - not into these i things.. I know I'm in the minority

Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 224683
    I don't think you could pay me to do bikes in this heat. Enjoy.
    We won't be cycling all the time and surely with all those trees there must be some shade??

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 224686
    I will be - after all when you spend money on holiday it's not real money is it?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaw, post: 224696
    I will be - after all when you spend money on holiday it's not real money is it?
    Exactly. Like when you eat on holiday it has no calories!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 224697
    Exactly. Like when you eat on holiday it has no calories!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    I got Lou into the apple shop last time by telling her it would be the easiest / cheapest place to email her folks from!! We were in there forever...

If you're in the apple store, when you come out turn onto the side road and go into FAO Schwartz Toy Shop. On the second floor they have the REAL 'Big' Piano that you play by running across. Wear socks!!

With the tours - things like the NBC tour PROBABLY need to be booked, but you can do it just a few days in advance. We'll probably walk over Sunday afternoon as Radio City and NBC are next to each other. We just plan to walk up to MSG for that tour. Empire State building isn't actually a tour, neither is top of the rock. The only other one I'm worried about is the cruise.

Let me know where you all eat, I need ideas!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast