Thread: Growing my own veg question

Post Thanks / Like
    I know a few member grow veg and I was wondering if anyone could answer this question?

I am growing swede, parsnips and carrots, that are now getting very large amounts of leaf growth so I am wondering if I can prune them back or will this damage the growth of the veg????

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't remember my mom ever pruning her carrots. Of course she would have never thought of planting parsnips (she hated them). I know they have to be well watered though. When did you plant them? The carrots may already be ready to harvest if they have that much leaf.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 224674
    I don't remember my mom ever pruning her carrots. Of course she would have never thought of planting parsnips (she hated them). I know they have to be well watered though. When did you plant them? The carrots may already be ready to harvest if they have that much leaf.
    I have spoken to my grandad and he said you can prune back as this will help the veg grow, I have checked the veg in question but nothing is ready to harvest yet.

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont remember pruning carrots or parsnips only things like tomatoes or fruit trees

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    i would say no the plant needs all the energy to make the vegetable and they get that energy from the leaves- photosynthesis so i would say trimming them would harm the veg. You pinch out the side shoots from tomatoes so there are less fruit. This is all what i'm guessing anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    I am definately not the person to ask about growing veg.

I just spent the last two months lovingly sowing, potting, re-potting and finally planting out and feeding some sweet pepper plants and they have turned out suspiciously like tomatoes

Turns out I used soil from around my old tomato plants from last year and there may have been some seeds in there

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel better that there is someone out there as dreadful as me at growing things! I planted 2 troughs of carrot seeds - decent sized troughs too, anyway, did everything i was supposed to do and i grew 1 carrot. Not 1 trough - 1 blooming carrot!

Post Thanks / Like
    No pruning of vegetable plants. The only thing of that nature that I do is remove some leaves from my tomatoes once the fruit has set so that more sunlight gets directly on to the fruit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh now this is interesting David grows parsnips every year and he does prune them so they have room and can get bigger and it works for him I'm no gardener though :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your help guys, Everyone seems to have different views on this and the comment I have found online are the same, some people say it's ok to prune back but leave some of the leaf behind, and other say no.
    I am going to do half and half I think and see what happens, if I loss some that reallt doesn't matter as I have a lot, I'll keep you all posted on what happens,