Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you do?

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought it would be fun to see what people do in regards to work around here. I am most assuredly including people who take care of their families and homes without pay as well. Also, if you are retired/on disability tell us what you do to occupy your time now or what you did for employment in the past.

I am a Vocational Counselor with the state's department of rehabilitation services. I help people with disabilities find and maintain employment. We do a million different things around here but it's all individualized. My caseload is the substance abuse population. It's a very interesting group to work with but they want everything yesterday. Part of that is what led to the addiction in the first place. Almost 99% of the people also have a dual diagnosis meaning they have a mental health disorder as well (usually depression/anxiety but also borderline personality, post traumatic stress, bi-polar, etc). They also tend to have some significant health problems including brain injuries. Almost all have felonies as well. I really enjoy working with them and I work far too hard and way past my alloted 40 hours too often. I do enjoy working for the state since I get every holiday known to man off and I get to have every other Friday off.

So, what about you?

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a Mommy :p015: I feel blessed that I am able to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    And you certainly work hard at that job!

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnie, post: 15988
    And you certainly work hard at that job!
    That is so very true. I have worked at a College, a bank, and I worked for the 4 years before Katelyn was born for the County Clerk and I can honestly say I have never worked so hard in my life. There are no coffee breaks, or days off, and I can't even call in sick. It was strange in the begining to get used to the fact that even if you didn't want to get out of bed..you had to anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    i work in the Intermediate Care Service, we are mainly a rehab service but we also prevent unneccesary admissions to hospital. I really enjoy it, it can be very stressful at times. Unfortunately some families don't want their loved ones to be rehab'd !!

Post Thanks / Like
    I work part time for the on call doctor's service in the county. I handle incoming calls and tell doctors what to do. :D

I look after Steven during the week.

And this past year I have been a volunteer in Steven's school 3 mornings a week, doing 1 to 1 reading with children and it has been fantastic. I'll do it next year too if they want me to.

Post Thanks / Like
    I work as a Onsite Facility manager in the storage industry. Basically rent spaces for ppl to store thier stuff until they get a bigger place or sell it...most of them come to us under really heartbreaking circumstances. It is a tough job more emiotnally than physically. I live where I work, so you know I am really picky about who works my office when I'm off lol.
    One great pair of shoes can change your life.~~Cinderella
    Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says " ! She's up!!"

:muahaha:

Post Thanks / Like
    brit, do you physical rehab?

Dawn, volunteering in the classroom when they are little can be so much fun. I was able to do that when Alysia was small. Telling dr's what to do has to be fun too. Do you get to carry a stick?

catz, wow I never would have thought that would be emotional. But, I can see how it could be now that I think about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    not personally Johnie, but we have a multi disciplinary team of Occupational therapists, physiotherapists, social workers and nurses. We have a team of rehab focused carers who work in the community as a step down from our units. A lot of the people that we look after do suffer from mental distress though and we have good links to the community mental health team. The exam i just did was on mental health. Most of our patients our over 65.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have divorces in progress...store it until the attorneys sort it out, then there is death...can't bear to go thru anything so store it until we can find the heart to do it- or it's in court will to be sorted out. Fires...floods...Katrina...omg...Hundreds of ppl comming thru the doors, all lost...I took lexapro as a result of that last one... can't afford it anymore so I take over the counter sleep aids to make me sleep.cannot sleep without it.
    One great pair of shoes can change your life.~~Cinderella
    Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says " ! She's up!!"

:muahaha:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast