Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tips for the Florida heat...

Post Thanks / Like
    This will be our first visit to Florida during the summer and I admit to being a little aprehensive about coping with the heat. What tips can you give me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Get up early, enjoy the day, hide in the afternoon, and then enjoy more of the night time. I never went back to the hotel, but I would do more inside things. The Hall of Presidents is an excellent 2pm show! So are all the shows in World Showcase.

The biggest are sunscreen...don't make me share my horrible sunburned photo. I was a lobster and was so sick that I could only venture out at night as any sun would make me very sick to my stomach instantly. Not pretty.

And secondly, take your time, as there is no need to rush. Sometimes it's nice to just sit and take a breather.

Oh and be prepared to be a little cranky. ;)

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree get up early and come back to the parks in the evening. if you take a break in the afternoon go to the mall 0r awater park

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    Light cotton clothing. Sunscreen that isn't sticky (ugh). Neutrogena makes a nice one called Ultra. It goes on dry and not sticky at all.

I avoid those mister fans. Last thing I need is more water on my body...

Drink water, drink water, drink water...

Use a hat to keep the sun off, and provide some shade for your face. Don't forget sunglasses too!

Move more slowly, and eat lightly (if you feel like eating at all)!

Make as much use of air conditioning as you can. Plan to be indoors for the hottest part of the day, whether that means in and out of indoor attractions, or back at your hotel resting. Maybe the pool, but often in the afternoon there are thunderstorms which make swimming impossible. Contrary to popular myth, thunderstorms DO NOT cool off the day/air, rather they intensify the humidity and you'll actually see steam rising from the pavement.

Super comfortable footwear that doesn't rub. Last thing you want to deal with is a blister!

Make sure all your clothes are light colors too.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Pass though as many giftshops as possible to use the air con
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    We take a couple of plastic sandwich bags and a matching number of washcloths from the hotel with us. When we get hot and sweaty, we just wet the washcloths in a bathroom . Then use them to wipe our necks and faces. Rinse them out again and lay them of the back of our necks for a while. Helps cool us right down. Then wring the excess water out, fold them neatly, and store them in the plastic bags. Ready for use the next time!

Tom (... how cool!)

Post Thanks / Like
    My #1 tip - Purchase, and use, a beautiful parasol from China in Epcot. I do this every trip.

Take a rest before you become overheated.

Drink water often. Also check out the stand in AK that sells delicious iced teas.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Neutrogena sunscreen too and it's the best. Completely non-sticky as I can't stand even the slightest stickiness. And I have the high spf. No burning here.

Post Thanks / Like
    dont wear clothes that are going to stick to you - and dont wear clothes that will show the sweat if they do stick to you!
    wet wipes are great - bit like tom said about the flannels really.

I might have a look for some of that sunscreen, be great to use on dd too

Post Thanks / Like
    We have gone to WDW in July or August every year for the last 12 years. It is going to be hot and humid so so just accept that fact and dont let it get in the way of having a good time.Wear light clothing and drink a lot of water. Take advantage of the air conditioning. Animal Kingdom has the least amount of shade and air conditioning so to me it feels hotter there than the other parks. The heat makes the pool more enjoyable and the margaritas more refreshing.

off site- AUG 86 --- carribean beach JULY94
    all star movies JULY99- all star sports JULY00
    coronado JAN01---------all star sports AUG01
    all star music JULY02 ---All Star Movies Apr03
    POR JULY04 -------------Disneyland Hotel Aug 04
    Pop Century APR 05 -----Pop Century AuG 05
    Pop Century AUG 06-----Carribean beach Aug 07
    Pop Century Aug-08----- Pop Century Aug -09
    Pop Century Aug-11------Off Prop- Feb 12
    Caribbean Bch-Aug 12---Pop Century Aug 13
    Pop Dec 14---Pop Feb 15--Pop April 15

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast