Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: US to charge $14 per person for admission from 9th September

Post Thanks / Like
    The US government is to start charging UK travellers $14 (9) to apply for permission to enter the country.

The compulsory Electronic System for Travel Authorisation (Esta) is free at present, but from 9 September visitors to the US will have to pay for it.

It lasts for two years; people who already have a valid form will not have to pay until their current one expires.

The scheme was introduced in January 2009 but was made mandatory from January 2010.

It applies to all 35 countries with US "visa waiver" status.
    BBC News - US to charge 9 for Esta compulsory travel entry form

Post Thanks / Like
    And the purpose is...??? :(

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 227527
    And the purpose is...??? :(
    ...to make money and to deter tourists?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, huh? $14 per can rack up to a serious expense for large families or groups traveling together!

I honestly don't understand. :(

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    They really don't want our tourist dollars do they?

We're off to Europe next year.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just read about this too -
    I don't think you can renew your current ESTA early either to avoid the charges. Our two years runs out in late September so we will have to pay before we go back to USA in December.

Post Thanks / Like
    According to another website, if you're planning to travel to the US any time in the next two years, you should fill in an ESTA with your passport number and approx date of travel now before the charges kick in and update the details at a later date when you have flight number, address etc to avoid these charges. I'm considering it for 4 of us but Poppy's passport has expired so I'll still have to pay for hers if she travels with us.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Isafari, post: 227544
    I just read about this too -
    I don't think you can renew your current ESTA early either to avoid the charges. Our two years runs out in late September so we will have to pay before we go back to USA in December.
    You can apply for ESTA any time, even if you're still within your two years from your old one and it seems to work just fine so I think it makes sense for everyone who may be going in the next two years to just fill one in before the 9th
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd like to know what this money goes towards to We had to pay circa 80 to get our visas for China, although Hong Kong was free.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 227548
    You can apply for ESTA any time, even if you're still within your two years from your old one and it seems to work just fine so I think it makes sense for everyone who may be going in the next two years to just fill one in before the 9th
    That's really good to know, thanks Keith. I'll apply again after we come back off this trip then - can you remind me please

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast