Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Interesting' morning.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

This morning I drove passed a police car whom stopped another car....

Next thing I know I was being pulled over for talking on mobile phone while driving....

Okay, two thing here...

I had an itch in the ear so scratching is natural respond....

Also .....

The bonus is...

I am Deaf and cannot hear a thing!

The police officer refused to believe me and thankfully he contacted someone who confirmed that I am Deaf and cannot hear a thing....

He told me to get out of the car when I told him that I was Deaf ho hum....

After 15 mins he decided that I was telling the truth after all and it is impossible for me to use the mobile phone....

I cannot tell you how nervous I was! Even if I have not done anything!!!

So.... it was an interesting morning(!)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh my!!!!! WOW! Interesting (and stressful!) to say the least!

Do you not have some sort of identification card stating that you're deaf? Something akin to the "medic alert" bracelets that people wear? It seems like it would be useful in situations like these!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 227834
    Oh my!!!!! WOW! Interesting (and stressful!) to say the least!

Do you not have some sort of identification card stating that you're deaf? Something akin to the "medic alert" bracelets that people wear? It seems like it would be useful in situations like these!
    I know what you mean but I wont have one on a principle....

Post Thanks / Like
    Fair enough then! Hope I didn't offend by asking I was really thinking more along the lines of if you were ever hurt or something...I rendered emergency aide to a gentleman a few years ago who was deaf. He was badly hurt and I remember thinking to myself, I wonder how I would have communicated to him if his friend (who did sign) wasn't with him...that's when I decided I wanted to learn to sign! Of course, I'm sure I would have made do...necessity seems to always find a way...but I would have felt awful if he was frightened and I couldn't calm him....

Post Thanks / Like
    Somebody needs some training I think! I would personally write a letter into the station. What an idiot! On second thoughts training probably isn't what's needed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beccaberry, post: 227839
    Fair enough then! Hope I didn't offend by asking I was really thinking more along the lines of if you were ever hurt or something...I rendered emergency aide to a gentleman a few years ago who was deaf. He was badly hurt and I remember thinking to myself, I wonder how I would have communicated to him if his friend (who did sign) wasn't with him...that's when I decided I wanted to learn to sign! Of course, I'm sure I would have made do...necessity seems to always find a way...but I would have felt awful if he was frightened and I couldn't calm him....
    Oh no offend at all

I know that I do have a risk but I prefer to take the risk than having a 'label' of you know what I mean?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 227840
    Somebody needs some training I think! I would personally write a letter into the station. What an idiot! On second thoughts training probably isn't what's needed!
    Very tempting.........

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Deafjeff, post: 227841
    Oh no offend at all

I know that I do have a risk but I prefer to take the risk than having a 'label' of you know what I mean?
    UTTERLY and completely know what you mean my friend...I'll make the tiniest of confessions to you...I LOATHE (and never tick off) the check boxes on my children's school forms that identify me as a "single mother." I'm as proud as you can imagine of my children and who they are and who I am, but I hate the "label" it extends.

Post Thanks / Like
    You got it!

If the box asked me if I am proud to be Deaf, boy I'll tick it every time, sadly it just asked me if I am hearing impaired grrr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast