Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What does it mean when...

Post Thanks / Like
    A school is "locked down"? I've never heard of it happening here in the UK.

I follow the Orlando Sentinel on Twitter and it seems like every few minutes a school is locked down for various reasons. The latest one is at Winter Park High School whilst police investigate a robbery.

Post Thanks / Like
    It means everyone is confined to their rooms.

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone is locked into the school and no one goes in or out until the situation is resolved. It's a prison term meaning that all prisoners are locked into their cells until the "incident" is over or resolved, whatever that incident may be.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah! Thank you both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oooh, i dont like the sound of it!

Post Thanks / Like
    They had to lock down a school up in Bethesda, Maryland yesterday or the day before because gun shots had been fired in the vicinity. The suspect later turned himself in up in Pennsylvania.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    its scary... but it also means something is being done to keep the kids safe

Post Thanks / Like
    It's usually related to a violent threat or drugs. When I was in high school, we would get locked down so the drug dogs could come through. Now that sounds bad, doesn't it? But that was back in the 80's and I lived out in the affluent suburbs. Supposedly where that sort of stuff doesn't happen haha

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a lock down policy in the schools here because we are close to Broadmoor - the alarm is tested every Monday morning, at any other time the schools are all closed and we have to pick the children up and sign them out individually!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Every school has a lock down policy in place somewhere in its files.

It doesn't necessarily need an incident inside the school to invoke the policy, but somewhere nearby which could mean the school becoming involved, for example if a suspect tries to get into and hide in a school.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast