Thread: a "Peg-leg"

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, me first mate (9 yr old son) broke his leg at football practice. He is in a cast for the next 6-8 weeks, stuck in a wheekchair for 4-6 weeks. We are supposed to arrive at Disney on the 8th week of his rehab. Should we postpone the trip?? I don't mind pushing him around in a wheel chair if need be, put will he still have fun?
    Jack Sparrow: Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Teague, post: 233691
    Well, me first mate (9 yr old son) broke his leg at football practice. He is in a cast for the next 6-8 weeks, stuck in a wheekchair for 4-6 weeks. We are supposed to arrive at Disney on the 8th week of his rehab. Should we postpone the trip?? I don't mind pushing him around in a wheel chair if need be, put will he still have fun?
    Even if he is in the wheelchair and/or cast he should be able to enjoy most, if not all, of the rides. The only problem may be with swelling on the flight and I would certainly ask his orthopedist about that.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 233701
    Even if he is in the wheelchair and/or cast he should be able to enjoy most, if not all, of the rides. The only problem may be with swelling on the flight and I would certainly ask his orthopedist about that.
    Make sure you get aletter from doctor that he is able to fly incase airline asks

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    He'll have fun, but of course won't be as much fun as if he weren't injured. We once took a teen to WDW who had broken a leg and was in a cast (and needed a wheelchair). Some attractions are impossible (Splash Mountain, BTMRR, etc.) but others are fine.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks all, we won't be flying, we're just far enough that we hate to drive but too close to have to pay to fly. Doctor said he may be out of a cast by then...we're hoping and praying.
    Jack Sparrow: Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well driving will be more comfortable for him. Let us know how it goes, ok?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    doctor says now that he should be out walking and MAYBE out of a cast and all by the trip...yee-haw!!!

Airdrie, North Lanarkshire, United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like
    great news

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Life is a journey not a destination"

Post Thanks / Like
    He may not be back to normal fitness level though, maybe take the wheelchair with you just in case he needs a break during the day?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, if he overdoes it then you may have to deal with swelling and other types of discomfort. He will be walking but shouldn't push beyond what is comfortable. Plus, the muscles of the casted leg will be weaker, and may cramp with overuse (before they are built back up to needed levels).