Thread: Segway head dies on scooter in cliff plunge

Post Thanks / Like
    Jimi Heselden, the owner of Segway, has died after riding one of the scooters off a cliff and into a river, according to reports.

According to the BBC:

Heselden, 61, died yesterday after crashing into the River Wharfe. The incident took place on his West Yorkshire estate and has thus far been deemed an accident. Segways are not legal to use on British roads and are restricted to use on private property.

Heselden, who had already been an investor in the U.K. Segway dealership, bought the company at the end of 2009. The devices were launched in 2001 by inventor Dean Kamen, eliciting claims of revolutionizing transport at the time but ultimately failing to catch on beyond a niche base of tour groups and the wealthy.

This story, "Segway chief dies in cliff plunge," originally appeared on ZDNet UK.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh no! I did the Segway tour at Epcot and had THE BEST experience! I think Segways are totally fun and would be a great form of transportation around an easily walkable community.
    Gwen

Post Thanks / Like
    Us too, Gwennie. We really enjoyed the tour. We want to do the one at Ft. Wilderness now!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gwennie81, post: 234519
    Oh no! I did the Segway tour at Epcot and had THE BEST experience! I think Segways are totally fun and would be a great form of transportation around an easily walkable community.
    I genuinely believe that too!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com