Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uk public service cut backs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone else really worried?

We both work in the nhs and they've gone from saying we're ringfenced to talking about severe public service cuts and everyone will lose something.

There's this comprehensive spending review on the 20th which has just got me really worried :( anyone else in the same boat?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep. I am. My husband and I are both teachers and with a baby due in January the last thing we want to be worrying about is job security.....

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel really lied to and betrayed by this new government. Yes we all need to tighten our belts but those of us in public service have already tightened have we not?

I was listening to the radio yesterday and some woman was saying how she hated thinking that tax payers were having to pay luxury pensions for public sector workers and how it should be stopped. I could cry. we get paid less than other people as it is and now we're being victimised

Post Thanks / Like
    Totally. We're always going to be the easiest to cut back. Teacher training colleges have had record numbers of applicants this year as people see it as a safe job. It certainly isn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    DW works in the public sector and would completely agree with you both :( she's definitely paid less than an equivalent private sector role but it's always been oh well you have job security, great pension and perks. Hmmmm! not so much any more no!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I am extremely worried, of course I am for my own job but I am more worried for the vulnerable service users that are and will be affected. My job is unusual that I am employed by the local authority but work within a joint health and social services team. I used to be in nursing but have found what I want to do really and that is predominantly social with a bit of health thrown in. Some local authorities (Suffolk) are looking to privatise their social services, Social Work I don't believe is something that should EVER be privatised, we need more regulation, better training and supported individuals to deal with some of the carp that they have to everyday. Is this the start of a move to private health care?

I and lots of others on the front line feel demoralized, because apparently we are overpaid, lazy and have a brilliant pension. We work our hearts out, we deal with the times of your life where things have gone wrong. We get shouted at, threatened and sometimes have to wear bicycle clips on the bottom of our trousers to go into a house! I love my job but I won't compromise my standards and know that many others won't either.

Sorry for the rant but I feel quite strongly at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    It seems as though the Government base their cuts off what those in the public sector *should* earn rather than what they actually do earn. It gets me really angry.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I worry for the likes of Beth who have already lost a lot in services and will lose a lot more, it really depends on what area you live. They were talking yesterday that people on disability benefits will lose up to 3000, how do they think families will cope on low incomes. I can see families saying they need to find work so up the care package which will cost more in the long run. I am guessing most will then work in the care community which is a joke.
    There are a lack of sw,nurses already so why cut back on these important services.

The annoying thing here is most of the MPS's that paid their expences back were refunded them why?

How can we suddenly find millions to send to countries in poverty that need back up of the likes of our country. Yes i am all for helping them but i am sorry our own country comes first.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think this is one of those problems where the situation is vastly different depending upon which area of the country in which you live.

Here in Wales - where about two thirds of the economy is public sector things are a little different.

Even those of us who work in the private sector rely heavily upon the public sector for our living.

Having said that, the position as far as pay and conditions has reversed in the last fifteen years. The situation now is that the public sector jobs are paid much better than the private sector jobs even before you look at the pension situation.

One of the problems is the huge increase in upper management pay levels. Directors of local authorities earning 120k+ per annum is ridiculous. I appreciate that the majority of public employees are nearer to the average UK salary of around 26k but even that is a good salary in Wales.

Unfortunately it will be the people at the bottom of the tree - who actually do the work (incredibly hard work) who will carry the can and not the deadwood from the higher branches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ieuanr, post: 235110
    One of the problems is the huge increase in upper management pay levels. Directors of local authorities earning 120k+ per annum is ridiculous. I appreciate that the majority of public employees are nearer to the average UK salary of around 26k but even that is a good salary in Wales.

Unfortunately it will be the people at the bottom of the tree - who actually do the work (incredibly hard work) who will carry the can and not the deadwood from the higher branches.
    I couldn`t agree more Ieuanr.
    Here in Stoke, the top brass at the councils are paid a darn sight more than our Prime Minister and even then the council employs consultants to come up with ideas for major improvements to our community, invariably involving ridiculous amounts of tax payers money.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast