Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: uk public service cut backs?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ieuanr, post: 235110
    Having said that, the position as far as pay and conditions has reversed in the last fifteen years. The situation now is that the public sector jobs are paid much better than the private sector jobs even before you look at the pension situation.
    I really think you may have a biased perspective based on your area like you say.

There are civil servants earning hundreds of thousands yes and I'm not going to cry if they get cut back but it just won't be will it? No, it'll be nurses, schools because they know that the staff who remain will work as hard as they can to cover. why? because we've no choice, it's work harder or see people suffer.

the majority of public sector wages are in no way paid better than the private sector and they've already had pay freezes, increased hours and recruitment feezes.

In other words, when you're at a point in your life you need help, chances are it's going to be delivered by someone underpaid, covering for 3 or 4 positions that have been let go and worried about their future.

Post Thanks / Like
    150 people from my department got told their jobs were to go om Monday, some management, but not all. I looked on nhs jobs on Friday and they're advertising for a director of finance for 100,000.

Post Thanks / Like
    Things in the private sector are pretty rough as well -there have been plenty of people with no pay rises, 4 day weeks etc - for the last two years.

The reality is that they will lay off the public sector workers and then pay a private company to carry out the work. There is no way that a private company should be able to provide a service more economically than the public service - so something does not add up.

Unfortuantely, everyone is going to have to pay for the horrendous level of debt which has been built up in our name.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12