Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In America what is a "personal day" ?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think we know how lucky we are here. Some people here think of sick days as an entitlement. I think that we'll see a change in this certainly in the public sector in the future though. I do like the idea of a couple of personal days a year when you just can't cope anymore, I think it would help stress levels just knowing it was available.

Post Thanks / Like
    I like to think of personal days as Mental Health Days. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by foreverducky, post: 235455
    I like to think of personal days as Mental Health Days. :D
    Definitely! Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    It should also be added that FMLA does not apply to all businesses. Smaller businesses aren't required to offer FMLA to employees.

I work P/T since having DS. Even as a p/t worker I am still entitled to 10 sick/personal days, all 'Federal' holidays paid and 3 weeks + 2 days vacation days. Also, if you take more than 3 sick/personal days in a row you need to return with a Dr note and they count that as 1 absence. We don't have any carry-over for sick days at our work-that's a pity!
    xxoo Rosie

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, Rosie. That is so true. Also, it completely depends upon the company whether you need a Drs note after three days or some other time frame.

I once worked for a company that required an obituary to take time off for a family death. How rotten is that? I know there are all sorts of people in this world, but seriously? How many days of work were actually lost to people lying about their mother or other immediate family member dying?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    If you work in an at will state, then a doctors note really doesn't matter sometimes. Virginia is at will. They can fire you for whatever reason they want as long as it does not violate a federally protected class. Or the company has guidelines regarding firing.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12