Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh oh....

Post Thanks / Like
    theres a confirmed case of chicken pox at dd's nursery worse thing is, she's been off colour for a couple of days, we were going to see a fireworks display yesterday but while we were having tea out decided to come home, she hadnt eaten a thing and was almost asleep on the table.

I reeeeeeally hope she doesnt get it - or if she already has it in her that she breaks out very very soon. Its my understanding that we wont be able to go away if shes at the contagious stage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kate, post: 237597
    Its my understanding that we wont be able to go away if shes at the contagious stage
    “Information from British Airways Health Services states you cannot travel until six days after the last spot has appeared, and then at that point you will also need a letter from your GP/Doctor stating that you are no longer infectious.”

“If your child has chickenpox, they may not be allowed to fly during the infectious stage (two days before the rash appears until roughly five days after). This is because the air conditioning systems in aeroplane cabins allow germs to circulate easily, and the chickenpox infection can be very dangerous for people with AIDS, a lowered immune system, and pregnant women.

Your child should be safe to fly once they are past the infectious stage and the blisters have crusted over, but it is best to check your airline policy first.

I am keeping everything crossed for you Kate
    Please let us know how things go

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for finding that for me Diane, its useful to know just incase!

Im trying not to think about it tbh, i know what will be will be!

Post Thanks / Like
    How is she today Kate?
    Actually, she's probably still in bed

Post Thanks / Like
    Still in bed - i wish!!!

She seems ok today, bit bunged up so hoping the other night was the start of "just" a cold and nothing more! Had to have a rash/spot check though just incase!

DH and i have decided to keep her home from nursery next week, its just too much of a risk i think, i know it seems a bit over the top but the timing is dreadful and we really dont want to have to cancel this holiday

Post Thanks / Like
    I think your making the right choice keeping her home so close to your trip I would do the same :) hope she feels better soon :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Daveann!

Found this on virgin atlantics website - handy to know:
    The following diseases are regarded as being communicable and may pose a direct threat to the health and safety of others. We recommend the following guidelines when deciding whether you should fly.

Chicken Pox Can travel 5 days after the rash becomes evident.
    Cholera As long as your symptoms have settled, you feel well enough to travel and the Public Health authorities in your destination country agree.
    Hepatitis A As long as you feel well enough to travel.
    Measles Can travel 5 days after the rash becomes evident.
    Mumps Can travel 5 days from when swelling started.
    Rubella Can travel 5 days after the rash becomes evident.
    Shingles Can travel as long as rash is not weeping or is covered.
    Tuberculosis Can travel if medical evidence states you are not infectious.
    Whooping Cough Can travel 5 days after starting antibiotic treatment or 3 weeks after the onset of symptoms if not treated..
    Yellow Fever Can travel once you are well enough and your treating doctor and the Public Health authorities in your destination country agree.
    Influenza/Flu

Can travel once symptoms have resolved.

If you have or have had any of the above listed illnesses recently, we ask that you contact Special Assistance.

Additionally, the conditions listed below are not likely to pose a direct threat to others within the aircraft cabin and you can be accepted for travel as long as you feel well enough to fly:

Hepatitis B or C.
    Dengue fever.
    Viral Meningitis.
    Malaria.

Post Thanks / Like
    Fingers crossed it's just a cold

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    yikes! hope it's nothing more than sniffles

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia, Australia
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was coming on here to moan about how I am sick 3 weeks before we are due to fly- I will stop moaning now!!

Gareth and I have both had chicken pox - he brought it home from daycare and gave it to me! (Back when he was about 2) I had nearly a month off work between looking after him for two weeks and then the day I was due to go back to work, coming down with it myself.

I think you are absolutely doing the right thing keeping her home, and I will be keeping my fingers crossed that she doesn't come down with it!
    Next trip - Bali! (March 2015)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast