Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soliciting opinions

Post Thanks / Like
    yep... the d70s had the same sensor as the d70 but they changed the way the images were processed and to be honest, I suspect it was to make them closer to the way cmos output the photos. Trying to keep the range similar.

They're all great cameras to be honest, there's not one in the nikon range now that I wouldn't have, but the d70 takes some beating that's for sure!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    what a cool gesture tom, giving him your D70 :)
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Many thanks to all of you!

I think I'm going to go ahead. I'll miss my old D70 workhorse but I can take comfort in the fact that my grandson will at least have a decent camera to use to hone his photographic skills. Here's one thing he did that's on his Facebook photo album. This was done with a cell phone camera using his mom's and dad's wedding rings and their family bible.

Note the shadow of the rings. Methinks the kid needs a better camera!

Tom (... cultivating talent!)

Post Thanks / Like
    yep agreed, he's earned a better camera methinks

I just got a D7000 and I'm very impressed!
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I went ahead and got the D3100 and have wrapped up my old D70 and a couple of starter lenses for my grandson.

Initial impressions of the D3100 are good. The only thing I'm finding hard to get used to is the fact that the body is a bit smaller and lighter than my D70 was. When I was holding my D70, I had the feeling that I really had my hands on a big chunk of camera. Not so with the D3100. It just feels much smaller and lighter. I know I'll get used to it but right now, it just feels strange.

However, on the up side, I love the pictures it takes and the way it works! The bigger display on the back is wonderful. And having the shooting information displayed there big enough to read without my glasses is a delight! I never could read the LCD display on the top of my D70 without putting on my glasses. So, taking pictures was a case of glasses on to set the camera, then glasses off to compose and shoot. What a pain. In that regard, the D3100 is a delight. I also like the fact that I can also use the display on the camera for "live view" and don't have to use the viewfinder to do the composition. Useful for those times when you need to hold the camera above eye level. And since it also does video at various resolutions including 1080P, I can now get some high def video with just the one camera.

Tom (... still playing and learning about it!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 240785
    Well, I went ahead and got the D3100 and have wrapped up my old D70 and a couple of starter lenses for my grandson.

Initial impressions of the D3100 are good. The only thing I'm finding hard to get used to is the fact that the body is a bit smaller and lighter than my D70 was. When I was holding my D70, I had the feeling that I really had my hands on a big chunk of camera. Not so with the D3100. It just feels much smaller and lighter. I know I'll get used to it but right now, it just feels strange.

However, on the up side, I love the pictures it takes and the way it works! The bigger display on the back is wonderful. And having the shooting information displayed there big enough to read without my glasses is a delight! I never could read the LCD display on the top of my D70 without putting on my glasses. So, taking pictures was a case of glasses on to set the camera, then glasses off to compose and shoot. What a pain. In that regard, the D3100 is a delight. I also like the fact that I can also use the display on the camera for "live view" and don't have to use the viewfinder to do the composition. Useful for those times when you need to hold the camera above eye level. And since it also does video at various resolutions including 1080P, I can now get some high def video with just the one camera.

Tom (... still playing and learning about it!)
    When I upgraded my a200, I found that the lighter body was bad, but now my new camera feels just as sturdy as my last one Glad you love your new camera. Your Grandson seems very talented and will do really well with his new camera
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    It`s good to hear that you aren`t disappointed with your new toy Tom.
    I am in the same situation...spectacles on, read the display, spectacles off take the shot, spectacles on, view the result, spectacles on, read the display, spectacles off, re-take the shot [cos I wasn`t impressed with my first effort], spectacles on, view the result.
    That`s ok unless you are trying to capture an image that is only there for a fleeting moment.

It`s good to hear that the displays are more legible than with the D70.
    Looking forward to seeing some of your efforts sans spectacles!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12