Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick trippie from yesterday

Post Thanks / Like
    The snow had gone! We could go!

However, mum texted at 7am to say their road was sheet ice and they couldn't get out. A quick phone call and a bit of negotiation and I took Lucy and Willow over to their house for the day. Our dogs get on fine with their 3 dogs but 5 dogs in a bungalow is a lot to ask so we are grateful to my parents for doing this.

Off to station at 9.30am all wrapped up warm and with a spare set of trousers and shoes for Steven - you never know with him. There's a revised service today - only 2 trains an hour on our line and none direct to London so we had to change at Brighton. While we were waiting for the train we bumped into 2 old friends from university who are now married with 2 small children of their own. The youngest is starting at Steven's school in September. Quick chat and exchange of phone numbers and we're getting on the train.

Short journey to Brighton and get on one of the two trains an hour running up to Victoria. One very full train left on time and as we travelled north we realised why there is still a limited train service - snow on the ground everywhere from Haywards Heath northward. Gatwick was still white but you could see the runway was clear. At Gatwick another bazillion people and their suitcases got on and one incredibly overcrowded train headed towards London. By the time we got into Victoria I don't think you could have squeezed another person on to the train.

Straight on to the underground and a short time later we emerge at Covent Garden where there is no snow and the sky is grey. Had a quick walk down to remind ourselves where the theatre is and then went back to the market area. Watched a bit of the street entertainment (very good) and then found a pasty shop that did table service. 3 pasties and a big baskets of potato wedges did us for lunch but Steven dropped a bit on the floor and every pigeon in a 30 mile radius headed for our table.

Quick look in the Disney Store where Steven got a couple of Phineas and Ferb bits and then join the crowds thronging into the theatre. The man on the door that scanned our tickets was hysterical as he was so up himself it was funny. Looked down his nose at Adrian who was holding the tickets upside down and then pointed where we should go rather than speak.

Checked out the merchandising opportunities for on the way out, quick toilet stop and into our seats - 3 row of the royal circle - brilliant seats.

Won't describe the show as it will spoil it for anyone not seen it yet but Steven spent the first 10 minutes like this It was beyond awesome. Totally worth every penny of the very expensive tickets and all the hassle we had getting up there. On the way out Steven got a Zazu toy as he was his favourite. We also picked up a christmas tree decoration and a snowglobe. :D

Journey home began at 5.10pm. Walking through Covent Garden at speed at this time on a Saturday is impossible. Not helped by Covent Garden station being closed due to a problem. We walked the short 5 minute walk to Leicester Square and got on the underground there. The place was rammed and people kept getting between me and my child. A very crowded journey back to Victoria left us gasping for fresh air so we stepped outside for a couple of minutes.

Checked the departure boards and we had half an hour to wait for a train to Brighton. Time for a wee and to buy a train picnic. We were ready to board the train as soon as it pulled in and I'm glad we were as buy the time it pulled out it was bursting at the seams. We had the pleasure of listening to some women and their daughters complaining all the way home about the lack of seats as if it was our fault.

Got back into Brighton in the pouring rain with 4 minutes to get off the train and dash round to another platform to catch our connection. Made it with half a minute to spare and managed to get seats on another packed train.

We finally got home at 8.30pm and Adrian dashed off to collect the dogs.

A fantastic show and a great day out together.

If you get the chance see it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sound like you had a great time! What show was it?

Post Thanks / Like
    Lion King!! *roar*

Post Thanks / Like
    It is great isn't it? So glad you got to see it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Adrian and myself actually saw it a few months after it opened and loved it. Been waiting years to be able to take Steven. Glad we did now.

Post Thanks / Like
    So glad to hear that you were able to get to London. Sounds like you had a great time.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh i am taking Beth in April to see it. I took her to see Mama Mia for her birthday in the week buts she had a massive seizure and was very poorly after so we had to leave. Thankfully she was ok 24 hours later.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Beth will love it.

I want to go again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe we should do a lion king London meet

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like such a great family day! I would love to be close enough to a major city that we could 'train' into!
    I love The Lion King show too! I've seen it 3 times I think, 2x in Toronto and one as it travelled to our city.
    xxoo Rosie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast