Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: student protests...bit worried

Post Thanks / Like
    hubby has been on duty at the protests in Brighton all day and called to say they may have to go to London as it's all kicked off up there.

He was meant to text if he's not going but i haven't heard back so i can only assume he's gone.

Just watching the news now, it looks like it's going to be a long night in London......

Post Thanks / Like
    I heard something on the news about the possibility that tuition at the Universities may be tripled? Is that what the protests are about? If so I can't say I blame them.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof2, post: 240064
    hubby has been on duty at the protests in Brighton all day and called to say they may have to go to London as it's all kicked off up there.

He was meant to text if he's not going but i haven't heard back so i can only assume he's gone.

Just watching the news now, it looks like it's going to be a long night in London......
    I totally understand I am watching it on the news and I feel totally sick. No need for this type of " protest". Hope you hear from him soon Hun xxxx

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 240070
    I heard something on the news about the possibility that tuition at the Universities may be tripled? Is that what the protests are about? If so I can't say I blame them.
    Yup, they want to put the average yearly amount up to 9,000 a year which I think is extortionate, and they want to kids to further their education, not at that price!

I thought it had all kicked off. I work over the road from Buckingham Palace's Royal Mews and all I could hear were police sirens. Hope your hubby was ok

Post Thanks / Like
    oh it's an emotive topic to talk about for sure but 9000 is the exception reserved for special shorter courses not the average which would fall between 3 and 6000. Everyone has the opportunity to get a student loan to pay for it and the time at which it's started to be paid back has been put back to those earning over 21000 and it's a gradual payment plan from then.

It has to be paid for somehow and I don't think it's unreasonable for those taking the courses to pay for them.

Anyway, that aside, the sickening increase in violence during these protests can't be justified and needs to stop. Whether it's legit students or people just going along to cause trouble, the fact is the NUS can't just turn a blind eye and keep going IMHO.

Hope you hear from him soon mumof2
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 240087
    oh it's an emotive topic to talk about for sure but 9000 is the exception reserved for special shorter courses not the average which would fall between 3 and 6000. Everyone has the opportunity to get a student loan to pay for it and the time at which it's started to be paid back has been put back to those earning over 21000 and it's a gradual payment plan from then.

It has to be paid for somehow and I don't think it's unreasonable for those taking the courses to pay for them.

Anyway, that aside, the sickening increase in violence during these protests can't be justified and needs to stop. Whether it's legit students or people just going along to cause trouble, the fact is the NUS can't just turn a blind eye and keep going IMHO.

Hope you hear from him soon mumof2
    I was just going to post along the same lines, explaining it in more detail, but you've done it better than I could Keith as well as saved me a job! :D

Mum, I hope you heard from your DH last night and that all is ok

Post Thanks / Like
    sorry didn't find out til late last night, he didn't go. there were 12 vans full of them in Brighton and i gather 9 went to London but his wasn't one of them!

Don't get me wrong I'm all for protesting, but the rioting is a different story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 240087

I totally agree with those sentiments Keith.
    I heard somewhere that it will cost the students something like 7 per week to repay the loan and ONLY when they are eventually earning 21K per year.
    I`m sure that many of them will still gladly pay 6 for a packet of cigarettes or a couple of beers so I really don`t think it`s a big deal.

All of us have to suffer the problems resulting from the huge debt that we have inherited so why should the taxpayers have to fund the students who will probably start working later in their lives than we had to, and also finish work at a younger age that many other hard working tax payers.

Rant over.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree it should be the people that benefit from the University Education that should ultimately pay but as a Mum I don't like the idea of my son coming out of University with a lot of debt. We are fairly well off so would get nothing to help with the fees and had planned on the 3000 a year. (Daniel hopes to go in 2012) I think they should bring it in gradually so that people have time to plan and would prefer it to be a graduate tax rather that debt. Debt has a very negative connotation, it's hard enough for youngsters to get on the housing ladder as it is without this.

also if this is the ethos then those from poorer backgrounds should have to pay the same back as they will have the same earning opportunities as my son does.

I also believe but haven't delved into this in detail that they are going to choose the courses that will get the more funding based on the academic value. Humanities are expected to be hit, while i think a BA in windsurfing is a farce we need to make sure that we have a broad range of academics for a successful future.

Post Thanks / Like
    mikey is at brighton uni but thankfully at the eastbourne campus. he will be glad the payments will not start until hes earning 21k :)
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast