Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thanks Dawn!

Post Thanks / Like
    The whole family are now officially geocachers :D

Been watching people come and go to the one outside our house and had a chat with a nice bloke who was trying very badly to look inconspicuous with his garmin

Matthew became very very excited about the idea of hidden treasure so we went to find one about a mile away that was hidden in a toy dog and now the kids want to do this every weekend. - not quite got the concept of leaving someting as well as taking though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steven hasn't got the concept of leaving stuff yet either.

And he gets most annoyed when I trek him over the Downs to find a microcache - usually a 35mm film canister with just a log and no prizes. :rofl:

Dog loves it though. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 18794
    The whole family are now officially geocachers :D

Been watching people come and go to the one outside our house and had a chat with a nice bloke who was trying very badly to look inconspicuous with his garmin

Matthew became very very excited about the idea of hidden treasure so we went to find one about a mile away that was hidden in a toy dog and now the kids want to do this every weekend. - not quite got the concept of leaving someting as well as taking though.
    It's SO much fun :) I've just about found all the close by ones now hmmm may have to travel a bit for the next one
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    rats just been outbid on a garmin on e-bay. what are your names on the website?

will probably want to set one up fairly soon with the boys

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any etiquette I need to be aware of. Do I need to sign up anywhere or can I just find one take and leave something fill in the log and remain anonymous? :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to www.geocaching.com - you can sign up for a free account there. Then you can use their search facility to find out cache locations. You sign the log to say you were there but if you don't want to log the find on the site it's up to you. Most people do though as it's a useful way for the cache owner to know whether their cache is still there and if it's full of water or not.

The only etiquette really is if you take something from a cache you leave something of similar value. And don't let non-cachers see what you're doing - they're known as muggles amongst us in the know.

Oh and remember the country code - stick to footpaths and shut gates and all that usual stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    as far as I am aware there is no need to leave anything personal :D fun to log them on the website though

Post Thanks / Like
    As an example of things to leave...

I've recently left a yoyo, some crayons, a pen, keyring, caching badges are good.
    Things I've recently taken - tiny chopping board, happy meal Piglet, tiny ink stamper set.

Generally caches should contain things that you would be happy with a child finding - no tobacco, alcohol, that kind of stuff. Though I did find a penknife in one cache which I removed. No food of any kind either - wildlife will trash the cache - they'll even sniff out chewing gum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, there is one near here that shouldn't need a GPS, it's in a hedge near a roundabout - could get some funny looks while I am rummaging though

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    What are the medals are they things that travel around caches?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast