Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thanks Dawn!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaw, post: 18823
    Thanks, there is one near here that shouldn't need a GPS, it's in a hedge near a roundabout - could get some funny looks while I am rummaging though

should fit in with your new 'hobby' then :D

Post Thanks / Like
    I could get quite well known in the area :D I can see the headlines in the local newspaper now

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Travel bugs and geocoins travel around. Bugs are like a dogtag with a unique number and something attached, last one I found had a toy truck on it. Geocoins are special coins people get made to travel around. They are logged on the the geocaching site and they sometimes have a journey mission. There's a coin in one of my caches at the moment - I put it there in the week. It's travelling around British seaside resorts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 18824
    What are the medals are they things that travel around caches?
    Are you talking about *Travel Bugs*? They are quite fun and we used to try to get to caches that had them listed. They are small tokens or badges that are registered at the site and there is normally some kind of goal/destination. We had a bug once that was released while a family from the UK was here in the States and it's goal was to make it back to the UK at a cache near their home. Once you've helped a bug on it's way and logged it at geocaching.com, you can keep track of it and see where else it has gone.

We used to geocache nearly every weekend when we lived in VA...there were thousands of them. Now that we live in OH, there aren't nearly as many and it's harder for me to go traipsing through the woods with my knees so bad...but we still do one occassionaly. There is a microcache near us and we had to visit 5 times before we finally found it it was so uniquely hidden.:p015:

Jordan used to have a small backpack he'd take with us with small toys, etc that he would leave in exchange for treasures found as well as pencils (not all caches will have one with their log) and a note pad for us to take notes for when we would write up our find for the site.

Another fun thing some people leave in caches here in the States is a Where's George dollar...encompassing two hobbies in one.

PS...we are Batman'sClub (Jordan used to be a huge Batman freak:p015:)

"Always take a banana to a party." :banana1:

Post Thanks / Like
    Someone on vacation from the US found one of my micros today. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    I`d never heard of this before i read about it on here sounds fun
    Jacqui ;)xxx

Post Thanks / Like
    We used to do this quite often when we lived in Virginia, but sort of stopped after we moved back to Texas....perhaps it would be fun to pick it back up again....it's a great way to spend a weekend day....

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh yeah! My son got a where's george dollar for graduation! He logged in and left his name and how he got it lol...by now it's been spent at walmart...I can't wait to see where it turns up next :)
    One great pair of shoes can change your life.~~Cinderella
    Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says " ! She's up!!"

:muahaha:

Post Thanks / Like
    well I'll be doggone...there are geocaches here in Baton Rouge!!!
    One great pair of shoes can change your life.~~Cinderella
    Be the kind of Woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says " ! She's up!!"

:muahaha:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12