Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waxwings!!! - at last!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally become a proper twitcher now having found an alert on a website that said there were lots about in Pett we headed over there this morning.

After an hour of fruitless plodding we were about to head for the car when a chap showed us where they liked to roost 'but they've just left and it may be an hour or more until they are back and last time they sat for 30 seconds'

Boys not impressed by this

Anyway after about 20 minutes a shrill call anounced one or two arriving in tree opposite the canal

Snapped away just to get a record ( the sun had gone in by then grrr) but they stayed long enough for me to nip around the back right under their tree !!

One guy I was with said he'd last seen them in 1953, they don't come by here very often

Truly beautiful creatures though I'm sure you will agree - for those interested they are migrants and thanks to a poor fruit crop in Scandinavia they have poured into the UK - this doesn't happen very often at all

Sorry its a bit image heavy but I was crazy excited - shame the sun didn't shine, but I can't really moan. the red and yellow on the wings really looks like wax was just dripped onto them.

Post Thanks / Like
    wow there are beautiful little birds :)

Post Thanks / Like
    not small either , starling size, in flight they look a lot like starlings

Post Thanks / Like
    They're beautiful. I love the 3rd photo, it's fantastic. Well done on catching a picture of them.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sooooooo jealous.

I saw an article saying there were high numbers over here this year and would love to see one, but alas none spotted in my garden. I don't go out bird watching like you do Chris so Congratulations, I bet you're absolutely chuffed to have seen so many in one go

Thank you so much for sharing with us

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, this was the first time we ever went out to try and find something specific, most of the time it's just an excuse for a walk in the country.

They look so exotic, look out of place in the uk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 240265
    Thank you, this was the first time we ever went out to try and find something specific, most of the time it's just an excuse for a walk in the country.

They look so exotic, look out of place in the uk
    I know..... how fantastic for you.

There's a few birds on my list ( in my head0 that I've always wanted to see in natural habitat, kingfisher, waxwing and hummingbird

I sat for hours by a river in Devon on & off for days and eventually spotted a kingfisher.

Last year in Florida I saw 2 hummingbirds and cried like a baby. Jai eventually had to drag me away as I didn't want to leave

So, waxing is still eluding me but hopefully one day

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a thing for hummingbirds too, you know you could get a nectar feeder for your villa

Question is Chris are you a tweeter or a birder?

Post Thanks / Like
    The sunbirds are the African version of the humming birds, didn't really get any good shots of them but they were beautiful.

we are definitely birders, not twitchers, we arent obsessed with finding rarities just happy to be in the presence of these things, the more I learn about them the more amazing birds are, how these tiny little things can travel as far as they do is just jaw dropping. Arctic terns spend the summer in the north pole and the winter in the south !!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 240268
    I had a thing for hummingbirds too, you know you could get a nectar feeder for your villa

Question is Chris are you a tweeter or a birder?
    I would love to do that but the STR rules are very strict and as I'm not there very much all year I think it wouldn't be worth it.

Sandra
    Sandra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast