Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Typical day at DLP?

Post Thanks / Like
    This may be a truly insanely stupid question but I've no real experience with DLP. The one time we went it was on a coach. We go there early morning, left early evening and had been up 24hrs previously.

We literally dashed around here and there and it was over before it begun!

No planning was done, no pondering, no time to watch things go by.

So what's your typical day at DLP? Do you do similar things to WDW? I have this feeling that even though there's the kingdom park and studios (+ downtown disney area) theyre all really small but I'm hoping I'm totally wrong!

I know from everyone I've ever spoken to that a sure fire way to feel hard done by is to try and have a WDW experience at DLP because they're different and need to be enjoyed in their own right.

Yet I'm struggling to understand what's to do, what's to see? What show can I have as my "tradition" that I do each and every time. Are the Disney hotels part of the experience? etc etc.

Everytime I try and book DLP, it seems to come out to a week in WDW pricing, so I have that to contend with as well, but 30mins by air and a short bus ride, it HAS to be a great place for a Disney feeling fix right?

Convvvvinnnnnnce me someone???
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Well for starters the Disneyland Park is bigger than the Magic Kingdom at WDW. We always give ourselves 2 whole days to wander around + 1 day to visit the Studios.

Downtown Disney has more of a Pleasure Island feel to it, we always wander around the shops and get something to eat in Annettes Diner. It also makes the walk to the parks more interesting assuming you are staying anywhere but the Disneyland Hotel.

The castle, in my opinion, is the most interesting of all the castles and dont forget to visit the dragon!

Also, the two arcades that run behind the shops either side of Main Street give an interesting alternative to walking down the street and a nice place to sit and get a coffee.

How about lunch at Walt's? Situated above the shops on Main Street try for a window table and watch the parade go by beneath you..

The rides are better the at the World, Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain both bigger and better, no Splash Mountain though.

The Studios has come on a lot in the last few years, with the Tower of Terror and the New Toon area there is now a lot more to do. The 2 must do shows though are Animagique and Cinemagique (Not sure on spelling!)

There is also the hot air balloon on the shores of Lake Disney, never been on it but wish I had.

As for the hotels, only stayed at Sequoia Lodge, but always enjoyed stopping for a drink next to the roaring fire after a day in the parks, (We have only ever gone in the winter though)

I'm sure I will think of more things to say about the place, I would go every year if I could. As you say, it isn't Disney World, so as long as you keep this in mind it really is a great place to get that Disney Fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's brilliant Simon! Just what I was hoping to hear! Amazed to hear that disneyland park is larger than MK which I thought was pretty large in itself!

Are the parks open late? I love MK late at night

Post Thanks / Like
    The Disneyland Park will stay open later than the Studios, it depends on the time of year to be honest.

Have a look at this link for opening times

News*and events calendar at DisneylandŽ Resort Paris?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think 2 - 3 days is plenty to visit both the main park and the studios.

Its nothing compared to WDW, but it does give you a little bit of a Disney fix to keep you going. You should never try to compare your WDW experience ato DLP experience.

I think the main park stays open until around 10pm in the warmer months, but im sure that the studios is 7pm most nights. I know when Simon and I were there at the end of Nov / Dec, both parks shut at 7pm, which is a shame as there isn't a huge amount to do in the Disney Village.

Hotels aren't too bad, we've stayed at Santa Fe, Cheynne, Sequia Lodge and all good, expensive but good.

The downsides are that its VERY expensive and the french are VERY rude. I dont think we've ever been and not had a run in with a french person at one point or another. Also some of the shows are just in French (a couple in the Studios) which kidna ruins it, but they are good and offer English time slots too on some of them.

Getting there is pretty easy, Eurostar direct is just under 3 hours which is great. We've also flown and driven, both of which are fine too. We much prefer the Eurostar as it takes you direct into the Disney Village, whereas flying you then have to faff about getting from the airport which is a good 45 minutes away. They do offer the VEA shuttle which is a little on the expensive side (just my opinion), just can also get the fast TGV train or the slower Metro.

Definately worth a visit Keith, even if you just go once and don't feel you want to go again. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Great advice thanks

Which hotel would you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 240814
    Which hotel would you recommend?
    Personally I would save money on the Hotel, I don't think its worth paying out to stay in the moderates or the fancy Disneyland Hotel.

We love the Cheyenne which has a Western Cowboy look to it. The themeing is great here and its also an easy walk if you get stuck and can't get a bus back from the Disney Village.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hotels..

If you can afford it stay at the Disneyland Hotel, right over the entrance to the park.

Otherwise the Moderates, Hotel New York, Sequoia Lodge or Newport Bay Hotel are all around the shores of Lake Disney which is just beyond Downtown Disney

The budgets, Hotel Cheyenne and Santa Fe are a bit further out although you can walk to the parks from any of them, or the buses run constantly.

If you cant afford the Disneyland Hotel, any of the moderates would be a great choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brilliant thanks folks :)

Any absolute must dos? It's like my first time at WDW knowing nothing about anything and trying to make sure to see the special things

Post Thanks / Like
    Im finding this all very interesting, we've often talked about going to DLP but just never done it because of the cost but it could be worth looking into!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast