Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Early December or christmas/new year?

Post Thanks / Like
    We've been lucky enough to go to Disney in Early December for many years now. I LOVE the decorations, the weather is a bit cooler for me which is brilliant, although this year was silly cold and the crowds have historically been more manageable.

I keep reading Issy's trip reports though and thinking new year there would be wonderful! I thought about it this year but the flights were so expensive that I gave up on the idea.

I'm back thinking about it now.

Yep, I know the crowds in the parks would be silly but we don't do many main stream rides given we've been so often so that wouldnt unduly worry us.

I'd love to be in a park on NYE although the MK v EPCOT argument would be a hard one to resolve :/

What other pluses/minuses should I be pondering on? Has anyone else been there over christmas/new year??
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    You must do New Year's (and Christmas) at least once. With some pre-planning and wide open eyes (knowing what you are going to deal with) you will have a wonderful time.

I honestly have to say that there isn't much nicer than standing in the UK at 6:00 pm and ringing in the new year! That begins the evening and you can carry on through midnight if you wish or move to something else (a lovely peaceful meal at one of the restaurants?)...

I think the perfect New Year's celebration would include the UK timing and then a beautiful dinner at Bistro. You'd be in the park, yet out of the utter chaos, with a view of it!

It was stupid cold this year, and that detracts from the fun, but it's not that way each year. It's a matter of pure luck; the weather.

I know it's expensive to fly and to stay, but yes, yes, YES!!!! You MUST do Christmas through New Year's if only once. (the 23rd or so through the 3rd or 4th would be great).

So then? Shall we begin looking for accommodation for you and the Mrs?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 241545
    I honestly have to say that there isn't much nicer than standing in the UK at 6:00 pm and ringing in the new year! That begins the evening and you can carry on through midnight if you wish or move to something else (a lovely peaceful meal at one of the restaurants?)...
    really?? would restaurants be open so late??

I think the perfect New Year's celebration would include the UK timing and then a beautiful dinner at Bistro. You'd be in the park, yet out of the utter chaos, with a view of it!
    ooo I LOVE that idea!

I know it's expensive to fly and to stay, but yes, yes, YES!!!! You MUST do Christmas through New Year's if only once. (the 23rd or so through the 3rd or 4th would be great).
    I THINK if I book nowish, it isn't *stupidly* expensive versus the rest of the year which in 2011 seems just crazy price wise at the moment anyway

So then? Shall we begin looking for accommodation for you and the Mrs?
    I'm extremely tempted I don't know if a villa for a week or two followed by an onsite would be the way to go or what :/

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are going to do a villa you are going to have to bite the bullet and drive. There really is no help for it. A villa would allow you to stay longer.

Onsite for NYE would be almost a must though. You can enjoy everything that way and not worry about driving (let me tell you the police are out in FULL force NYE... ).

I don't know how long the restaurants stay open on NYE (in WDW) but booking the last seating would provide you with a later in the evening option (if you didn't want to stay in the park). I still think the Bistro (time it for Illuminations??? ) would be beautiful.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Im sooooo jealous! I must admit celebrating NY using UK time is a good idea!

Post Thanks / Like
    You can make a bit of a fun game of it... going round the world showcase and trying to time it to match the country's "New year." Doesn't work for all of them, but it's fun to try.

Post Thanks / Like
    We used to always go on the day after Christmas and stay through New Years. Gave it up as a bad job when we found out we never had the right clothes packed for the weather. All that notwithstanding, we used to do Disney/MGM Studios on New Years eve. Silly crowded. Shoulder to shoulder standing room only. But when midnight came on New York Avenue, and the sky lit up with fireworks with confetti raining down, it was unbelievable.

All that said, you've absolutely GOT to do New Year's Eve at WDW!

Tom (... celebrant!)

Post Thanks / Like
    That's the thing, it sounds like a have to try it at least ONCE kinda thing!

On the villa driving thing. OK I give up I'll drive, it's really not that much of a problem especially with GPS.

BUT let me just try this argument we get cabs at the moment at least 7 or 8 days out of 14 from whatever disney resort we stay at! Say we were at a villa for a week out of two, the cab from a villa, depending where it was, would probably be LESS than from disney? And if we get a cab every day, no different from being at disney?

I'm so so so tempted to click book :/ I cant get the thought of new years eve at EPCOT out of my mind

Post Thanks / Like
    Keith. Rent a car and be done with it Man! Now. Press book and be ready for an adventure of a lifetime.

They rent Jags, ya' know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tink, post: 241566
    Keith. Rent a car and be done with it Man! Now. Press book and be ready for an adventure of a lifetime.
    ok ok I know you're right I really do

They rent Jags, ya' know.
    well that'd take some of the sting out of it I guess :tongue: although I'm on holiday, so really it should be an Aston Martin or something

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast