Thread: 'Must See' states

Post Thanks / Like
    I was very very impressed with Shakespeare library

-Folger Shakespeare Library

Worth seeing!

Post Thanks / Like
    Josh I stayed here 3 times in New Orleans

Hotel La Salle in New Orleans, LA

It's cheap and cheerful, a traveller's hotel, some rooms have shared bathrooms but the bathrooms are kept very clean. It's 2 blocks from Bourbon St and a short walk to the Mississippi. The staff are incredibly helpful - they gave me a map of the city and marked off the no-go areas for me.

If you go to New Orleans and arrive by Amtrak you will need to taxi from the station - it is not in a good part of town.

I've been to DC too and yes you could spend a week there and not even scratch the surface - Air and Space Museum would be top of my list.

Post Thanks / Like
    No particular order:

Chicago, IL
    Door County, WI
    Yellowstone National Park, WY
    Gatlinburg, TN
    Mount Rushmore, SD
    Key West, FL

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    OMG I forgot Chicago.

You have to see Chicago.

Extend that visa boy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyFreak, post: 241822
    Key West, FL
    Wait... Key West isn't a state. It's its own country. The Conch Republic.

So sayeth Jimmy Buffet and the good people of Key West since 1982!

Tom (...tripped on a pop top!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Josh just a thought but we used low cost inter city travel to travel from NY to Philadelphia for a day trip in August - very cheap $55 return for all four of us so may be worth looking into for day trips/short stays. Think they are mainly in the NE

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 241744
    Josh I stayed here 3 times in New Orleans

Hotel La Salle in New Orleans, LA

It's cheap and cheerful, a traveller's hotel, some rooms have shared bathrooms but the bathrooms are kept very clean. It's 2 blocks from Bourbon St and a short walk to the Mississippi. The staff are incredibly helpful - they gave me a map of the city and marked off the no-go areas for me.

If you go to New Orleans and arrive by Amtrak you will need to taxi from the station - it is not in a good part of town.

I've been to DC too and yes you could spend a week there and not even scratch the surface - Air and Space Museum would be top of my list.
    It sounds ideal, Thanks for all the great info! My wallet is currently crying but this is a once-in-a-lifetime type thing so I'm just going to go mental
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaw, post: 241827
    Josh just a thought but we used low cost inter city travel to travel from NY to Philadelphia for a day trip in August - very cheap $55 return for all four of us so may be worth looking into for day trips/short stays. Think they are mainly in the NE
    Thanks Lisa, that sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 241824
    OMG I forgot Chicago.

You have to see Chicago.

Extend that visa boy.
    Chicago is another one of the places a lot of people are agreeing on!
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I stayed in another cheapie hotel in Chicago. It was hysterical - the shower head was hanging off the wall and I pulled a drawer open and the whole cupboard collapsed. I won't recommend that one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 241831
    I stayed in another cheapie hotel in Chicago. It was hysterical - the shower head was hanging off the wall and I pulled a drawer open and the whole cupboard collapsed. I won't recommend that one.
    Might I suggest the Whitehall on Delaware Place. For a classic hotel it is relatively reasonable for being a 1/2 block off the Miracle Mile and Watertower Place.

Downtown Chicago Luxury Boutique Hotel

WDW = 39 visits since 1979
    DCL = 3 cruises since 2002

Upcoming Vacations:
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Dec 2014 [/COLOR]=
    WDW - Animal Kingdom Lodge - Grand Villa Savanna View
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]Feb 2015[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)] = DCL - 5 Night Western Caribbean on the Wonder - 20th Wedding Anniversary Celebration[/COLOR][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)][COLOR=rgb(255, 0, 0)]April 2015[/COLOR] = WDW - Boardwalk Villas[/COLOR][/COLOR]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawn, post: 241831
    You should have seen the school we stayed in in China! We donated them money as we did fund raising prior to the visit!

On the other hand there was an um... fantastic... view...

As much as we loved the 2 days in China, the return relative luxury of our hotel in Hong Kong was very welcome
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast