Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calling all twitchers

Post Thanks / Like
    Jade and Niamh have started feeding birds in their garden and Niamh really enjoys watching them eating and putting the food out in the morning. I don't think any particularly rare or exciting birds have been there but it doesn't make any difference for Niamh really as she just enjoys seeing the 'birdies'

After seeing all the toys and clothes she got for Christmas I thought I'd get her something different for her Birthday and I thought I might get her a bird table for their new garden

Is there anything I should consider when buying one or are most bird tables just all the same?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Fantastic idea

I noticed that many have really short stands which would be a problem if there are cats in the neighbourhood. A covered one is generally better to prevent the food from getting too soggy when it rains and prevents the pigeon population from stealing too much.

We splashed out on one with a lovely slate roof but it blew over and smashed

Happy hunting

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely one with a roof on to keep the food dry. The only other thing really is make sure it's easy to clean as you need to sweep off all the waste stuff now and again.

Great idea.

Post Thanks / Like
    If possible put it near a tree or somewhere the little birds can hide if they feel under threat - putting it right outside a window might be great viwing for them but the tiny littleones may be too nervous to be so exposed.

Sunflower hearts may sound expensive but we do get an awful lot of finches since we started putting them out and they don't leave a mess on the floor

Post Thanks / Like
    my mum has a couple in her garden one with a roof and one without, the bigger birds like magpies always go to the open one. she also hangs out fat balls and the smaller birds love that. my kids love watching the birds in my mums bird bath, hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    It might also take 3-4 weeks for the local birdies to work out there is food on offer so don't give up too soon and most importantly keep it stocked with food - they will come if they know they can geta regular meal.

Also don't be too hard on the pigeons, magpies etc - they need to eat too and they are still beautiful wild animals - there will be a a 'pecking order' and the little ones will get their turn

maybe hang a seed feeder nearby they are very cheap seen them for a couple of quid

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love to have something like this in my garden, but with 4 cats it would be a bit mean!
    Fab idea Josh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the help guys
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Currently on my feeders I have 5 goldfinches, a male and female blackbird, a great tit, a few starlings and a load of sparrows. I love watching the sparrows - very cheeky little birds. :D

Post Thanks / Like
    We have 3 blue tits, 7-8 greenfinches, a herring gull, pigeons, starlings, blackbirds, jackdaws and a Jay.

But then I have just done the food run

:)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast