Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tamron lenses

Post Thanks / Like
    Are these good quality? Spotted one in the windows of Jessops the other day. At the price (99) it's hard to refuse but something tells me they may not be great quality. The RRP is 170. For 70-300mm f4/5.6 DI LD Macro this seems great but I know that you can't just go off the tech-spec of a lens.

All thoughts welcome.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 243050
    Are these good quality? Spotted one in the windows of Jessops the other day. At the price (99) it's hard to refuse but something tells me they may not be great quality. The RRP is 170. For 70-300mm f4/5.6 DI LD Macro this seems great but I know that you can't just go off the tech-spec of a lens.

All thoughts welcome.
    In general, Tamron are "ok" just ok. The price accounts for the lack of brand name (who cares!) but also cheaper construction and less high quality glass. There ARE a few keepers, 28-75 was always a nice lens but mostly they're slow, unexciting and not very enticing.

Now I say all that right, this is all fine if you can afford 1000-1500 each time you spend on a lens to get a nice pro quality one. Of course most people wouldnt spend that anyway so then your choices are the lower cost major makes or tamron/sigma.

The specific one you're on about is a HUGE selling lens. I have one I got free with a canon camera I bought ages ago. It works, it zooms :) but the photos are not very sharp even when taken 100% correctly.

In other words, every time you use it, you think YAYAY for 99 quid, YAYAY for a lens that does everything in one :) and BOOOO for image quality on any level other than very basic snapshot.

Only t'other day I was looking through photos at work. They'd been for a once in a lifetime trip round the world and ALL The photos were soft in my opinion. I'm not arguing about how arty they were or anything else because they were holiday snaps but none of them were spot on sharp. They were using the tamron 70-300.

To provide some balance, everyone else in the office laughed at me and said the photos were great :) and of course they were great memory shots, but hmmmmm, yah know?
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I am ultra fussy compared to my parents but probably less fussy than you. I think it might be fine just for what I want- mainly photos of the zoo, but I'm thinking that at full zoom if I want top quality I'm best saving and getting something twice as fast.

I might buy it as a zoom lens. I'm totally happy with my 55mm Sony lens, although it's zoom it's only 15-55mm and not good for anything other than portraits and 'staged' photos. 99% of the photos I take are probably of Niamh so it's great for that, but for times I just want quick snapshots close up then I think that lens might be good

As you can tell I'm 50/50 about buying it. I'll probably just end up popping in and buying it.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 243056
    but for times I just want quick snapshots close up then I think that lens might be good
    Well the aperture is slow as well so again, no good indoors unless with a decent flash :/

It's hard innit :) cos if not that one then which?

It's just yah know :) I think about people going off on once in a lifetime adventures ;-) and taking photos which they'll never be in the position to take again. When you think like that, it's hard to settle .

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 243057
    Well the aperture is slow as well so again, no good indoors unless with a decent flash :/

It's hard innit :) cos if not that one then which?

It's just yah know :) I think about people going off on once in a lifetime adventures ;-) and taking photos which they'll never be in the position to take again. When you think like that, it's hard to settle .
    Stop it! All the other lenses I've seen are over triple the price and I already have many reasons to justify paying that much I'll see how healthy my bank balance is looking before I leave although to be honest, in the Florida sun and with the type of photos I'll be taking, my current lens would be fantastic for Orlando anyway!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 243059
    Stop it! All the other lenses I've seen are over triple the price and I already have many reasons to justify paying that much I'll see how healthy my bank balance is looking before I leave although to be honest, in the Florida sun and with the type of photos I'll be taking, my current lens would be fantastic for Orlando anyway!

I truly dont want you to spend three times as much but it's just 100 quid on rubbish is still 100 quid that could've been useful money yah know ;-)

nah tbh, go into jessops and ask them can you take some photos with it :) take your own memory card and look at the photos when home. If good then go back and grab it :)

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds like a very good plan Keith!
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 243063
    That sounds like a very good plan Keith!
    cos hey even if I say its rubbish, if you find one thats good OR simply that you think looks good to you, then it's a bargain ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont forget you are currently working with a kit lens, so you might be quite pleased with the results.

As Keith says, it will never hold up to a pro lens, but if you've never used a pro lens and are happy with the quality of your kit lens then it might just be ok.

Definately take your camera into Jessops and ask to try it on your own kit though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have this lens for my camera, it came with it in fact, and Ive never even needed another lens. I guess it's all about what youre used to

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast