Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does a large dslr make better photos than a smaller one?

Post Thanks / Like
    im glad no one know me here so i can ask this stuff

i dont want to skimp on memories so i could buy a large camera if it will really take better photos than the smaller ones, but a smaller one would fit in my bag and be less of a problem to carry round. or so I think never having had a larger one perhaps theyre not as heavy as they look?

So what to do ? is it worth buying a large one I mean there must be something good or people wouldnt have them right?

this silly question brought to you curtesy of an obsessive planner

Post Thanks / Like
    This isn't a silly question at all! Point and shoots do have their place but having experienced an SLR I think I'd definitely choose one over a point & shoot. They are more versatile and whilst they can be a bit harder to get used to, if you wanted to just use it as a point and shoot then you totally could and still achieve crisper, high quality photos than your standard point & shoot.

The weight has never been an issue, mine is always over my shoulder or round my neck. Sometimes I put it in my camera bag but I prefer to have it on me at all times.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes and No is my answer :) Too many people pick up DSLRs and think they will get pro photos straight away. With DSLRs its not just the camera body, the majority of the time its the lenses you buy to go with that body and let me tell you that can get VERY expensive.

Some of the little compact cameras now are up to 14mp which is brilliant and I expect you would get a great photo from that, they probably wouldn't stand up to night time photos like a DLSR, but then again you need to know what your doing to get good night photos with the DLSR as the point and shoot option doesn't always do what you want it too.

As we have a photography business we have the DSLRs but I prefer to use the point and shoot while we are away, I have to lug the big beast around enough at home so thats hubby's department while we are away.

If you've got the pennies and the time to put into buying and learning about a DSLR then go for it, afterall we all have to start somewhere :)

Post Thanks / Like
    As Lisa says point and shoots are just that, DSLRs can produce some fantastic images but you have to work at it and they take some considerable time to get used to. It is not unusual to take worse pictures initially with a DSLR than you do with your trusty old point and shoot.

Don't think good camera = good picture

The other point that is very valid is portability - when we are in the parks we like to carry as little as humany possible, so whilst I have a great big DSLR, for the parks its the point and shoot in the pocket everytime.

Post Thanks / Like
    The problem for me is that I'd always feel like I'd not got the best photos I could. If I took my point and shoot I'd always wish I had my DSLR with me. My SLR is quite light, so for my to just sling it over my shoulder it isn't that much of a problem. I took it everywhere with me in Hong Kong and after a day I didn't even notice it.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 243322
    The problem for me is that I'd always feel like I'd not got the best photos I could. If I took my point and shoot I'd always wish I had my DSLR with me. My SLR is quite light, so for my to just sling it over my shoulder it isn't that much of a problem. I took it everywhere with me in Hong Kong and after a day I didn't even notice it.
    That's exactly my problem.

Every alternate time I say ok, point and shoot, then I see other people with their dslrs and think grrr I wish I'd brought mine
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 243343
    That's exactly my problem.

Every alternate time I say ok, point and shoot, then I see other people with their dslrs and think grrr I wish I'd brought mine
    I have one days worth of photos without my SLR from HK and when I look at them I think "This would look loads better if I had my SLR."
    Follow Me on Pinterest

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh I agree with everywhere apart from Disney - for me Disney parks with the kids are about bombing around and going on the rides. I vowed a long time ago not to spend Disney vacations stuck behind a viewfinder. The very very last thing I want to be worried about is my camera on Splash mountain :)

If I was in Hong Kong you wouldn't be able to pry the DSLR from my face :D

If we ever go back to Florida I will take my DSLR with me and take it on a few select days out to get specific shots like fireworks or EPCOT where there is plenty to take shots of, but the rest of the time , I'll be concentrating on making the memories rather than recording them.

I would feel differently if it was just Lisa and I going though

Post Thanks / Like
    I would so love to go to Hong Kong - really would
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    id go DSLR every time. heavier yes but they arent that heavy. i had my DSLR, P&S and a video camera last trip and it wasnt a problem at all, i took nearly 2000 pix with it. we still did everything we wanted to, we always just amble round, never rush or you miss things. i make sure i have a lense for the close shots which is my kit lens which is ok it still takes good photos, but there are much better you can buy but at a cost, this is the next lens i want to replace the kit lens. then i have a big macro zoom for long shots and very close up shots using the macro facility. even with that lens on the body its still not overly heavy.

to get used to a DSLR just practice, practice firstly on full auto you still get cracking photos. once you move away from auto then you can take totally different shots with the same lens. something a P&S will never do :D
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast