Thread: meal replacement diets?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just wondered what experience everyone has of meal replacement diets and if any would be recommended.

I am seriously thinking of doing one of these but a) don't really know how to work out which is best and b) i don't like milkshakes so Im not sure any of them are for me

Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried one of the milk shake diets once and have to admit it worked nicely, until I went off it and then gained back more than I lost. I've not tried either Nutri-System or Weight Watchers but both of them are solid food based. Right know I am using livestrong.com. You feed your starting weight into the system and answer some questions and it will tell you how many calories per day you should eat to include amounts of sodium, carbs, protein, to reach your goals. You then TRACK EVERYTHING you ingest. I've been doing this since October. I've lost about 40 lbs. I'm not hungry and my blood sugar, and cholesterol are at their lowest levels in years. Also my blood pressure.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Meal replacements work, but only in the sense that they can help you take off impressive amounts quickly. Keeping it off is the work. You then have to adjust your food intake and exercise routines to keep it off!

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I don't like these type of diets, the only way you are actually going to change your weight for the long term is by adapting your diet and changing your attitude to food. They can help for short term quick weight loss but if you don't change habits then sadly it will creep back on

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 243487
    Personally I don't like these type of diets, the only way you are actually going to change your weight for the long term is by adapting your diet and changing your attitude to food. They can help for short term quick weight loss but if you don't change habits then sadly it will creep back on
    yep have to agree with that, i tried a milkshake diet and like ucwest i piled all i lost back on and more!!
    i lost weight with weightwatchers its the only time i have lost weight and kept it off while still eating proper food

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, that's the true key. The replacement diets will help you drop and drop fast, but you do need to then have a completely changed way of eating or you won't keep the weight off. Same as anything. If you change your eating habits through Weight Watchers, and then return to old "bad" habits you'll gain.

I know for me it's more significant what I eat than (within reason) how much. I can eat my weight in seafood, no problem. 1/2 cup of pasta and I'm an oinker...

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried weightwatchers and couldn't stomach the food. :(

I'm just trying to watch my calorie intake and need to increase my exercising. Watching calories allows me to eat anything I want as long as I'm in my calorie goal for the day.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have slimming world over there don't you? I like this plan the best and tend to stick with this during the week then have a little bit of what you fancy at the weekend or tbh sometimes too much lol