Thread: Fort de Soto

Post Thanks / Like
    Last year we went ot Siesta Key and this year we're planning on visiting Fort de Soto for a couple of days - has anyone been? If so, are there any things you would recommend us do?

Any places to eat etc

Just to show you one of our photo's from last year which Jai took when he was parasailing:-

Siesta Key

Thanks
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    We have family that lives 2 miles from Siesta Key.We have been there a few times. It is a beautiful beach with cool sand and warm water. I wish I was there right now. I never heard of Fort de Soto.

off site- AUG 86 --- carribean beach JULY94
    all star movies JULY99- all star sports JULY00
    coronado JAN01---------all star sports AUG01
    all star music JULY02 ---All Star Movies Apr03
    POR JULY04 -------------Disneyland Hotel Aug 04
    Pop Century APR 05 -----Pop Century AuG 05
    Pop Century AUG 06-----Carribean beach Aug 07
    Pop Century Aug-08----- Pop Century Aug -09
    Pop Century Aug-11------Off Prop- Feb 12
    Caribbean Bch-Aug 12---Pop Century Aug 13
    Pop Dec 14---Pop Feb 15--Pop April 15

Post Thanks / Like
    Fort Desoto is a state park located just off Tierra Verde on Mullet Key. The actual fort itself is located on the southwest corner of the key but as I understand it, is closed for rehabilitation until March of this year. The park itself is the entire key. There a several nice beaches on Mullet key. When I was growing up down there, my favorite was always the North Beach area. Don't know why. I just preferred it.

There are only concession stands in the park itself. No restaurants per se. However, there are numerous good places to eat just a short 5 or 10 minute drive away. As you leave the park via the Pinellas Bayway South (State highway 679, the only way), turn left just past Tierra Verde on the main Pinellas Bayway road (state 682). This will dead end at Beach Boulevard on St. Petersburg beach right at the Don Cesar hotel. There are plenty of good restaurants up and down the beach along with many resort hotels should you feel the need to stay a while!

Hope this helps!

Tom (... St. Petersburg ex pat.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Tom :-)

Yes, we've booked a hotel on Gulf Boulevard, St Pete's for 2 nights and we have Googled the Fort de Soto beach with Google maps, so I know there's no restaurants right on the beach but anything nearby that people may have tried and liked or maybe we'll just take pot luck.

Last time we went to St Pete's we ate at John's Pass - that was nice.

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    John's Pass has some good seafood restaurants. No doubt about that. Most of the places seem to change hands pretty quickly so that what was there on one trip may be totally different the next time.

However, there's a couple of casual places that are still there that I always enjoyed.

The first would have to be Ted Peter's Smoked Fish. Just don't go expecting signature dining. It's more like 1950 Florida but the smoked fish is delicious. For me, I always have to go there just for the trip down memory lane.

The other one is Caddy's on the Beach. This is a real beach bar. The burgers were always fantastic!

Another tradition down there would be Leverock's. Once again, this is a place that's been there for years and years although I believe it's under new ownership now. I still remember it from when Johnny Leverock owned it.

Hope this helps!

Tom (... now I want some smoked mullet!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Fort DeSoto is beautiful! we love it there. There was a concession stand there but there is alot of places in St. Petes to eat. And quite a few in St. Johns Pass!! When are you going?

Post Thanks / Like
    We arrive in Florida on 23rd August and have 2 days in Fort de Soto booked for 5th & 6th Sept :-)

Sandra
    Sandra