Thread: do you or your partner work shifts?

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the chance to go from a 9-5 to a better position but its shift based and the shifts will be all over the place. I quite like the sound but we're both worried that it will reduce our together time and Im worried how tired I'll feel for how long?

Do you get used to shifts?? what shifts do you or have you worked??

Post Thanks / Like
    Me and Mr A used to work shifts for the same company a few years back. You get used to it basically. Sometimes we'd hardly see each other for a few days but you still get time together. You make it work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dawn

Post Thanks / Like
    It has been absolute ages since I last had to do shift work, so I guess I'm not really prepared to answer your question. I do know that I eventually got used to it. Biggest problem was trying to sleep during the day.

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    DH has done shifts for the past 25 years - and still gets tired on a weekend when his body thinks it should be in bed during the day etc. I work permanent days - we still get to see each other though.

However, would you be moving to a better job? More pay? Would you be happier in this job?

Post Thanks / Like
    dh works shifts and has done for 13 years, he does earlies 7am to 4pm and lates 3pm to 11pm and nights 10pm to 7am. weekends too. i have always coped well with him working shifts and i do get to see him alot but that is due to me only working lunchtimes at my local school. dh does feel tired and your body clock does go into meltdown sometimes lol but he likes having different days off in the week etc, if it will benefit you considerably like loads more money great perks/prospects then give it a whirl. hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like
    I work a 4 day week with 2 days off. My first two shifts are 4pm to 1 am, the third and fourth shifts are 8 am to 4 pm. So between my second shift and third shift there is a 7 hour break and sometimes less if I work overtime(which I often do). It also means that my days off change weekly and I also wind up working most holidays. The good news is that work week flies by and the other good thing is I can retire from my job at the end of this year and collect a pension.
    I have doing this schedule for a long time and find my self exhausted half of the week.

off site- AUG 86 --- carribean beach JULY94
    all star movies JULY99- all star sports JULY00
    coronado JAN01---------all star sports AUG01
    all star music JULY02 ---All Star Movies Apr03
    POR JULY04 -------------Disneyland Hotel Aug 04
    Pop Century APR 05 -----Pop Century AuG 05
    Pop Century AUG 06-----Carribean beach Aug 07
    Pop Century Aug-08----- Pop Century Aug -09
    Pop Century Aug-11------Off Prop- Feb 12
    Caribbean Bch-Aug 12---Pop Century Aug 13
    Pop Dec 14---Pop Feb 15--Pop April 15

Post Thanks / Like
    My hubby works shifts too, 7am-4 or 5pm, 3pm-midnight, 8pm-4am, 11pm-7am, and various others! He gets very tired and sleeping during the day is the biggest problem but ear plugs help....

However, it's the job he had wanted to do for many years so the shifts are all just part of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to have an idle friend....whenever you mentioned the word "work" to him he used to shift!