Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you help me make a lens decison for our Disney trip?

Post Thanks / Like
    Im thinking of getting the canon 7d or maybe the 60d but I want something that will last me for the disney holidays. Thing is I've no idea on the lenses other than I know that the kit lens will be rubbish :(

Someone on another forum recommended the 70-200mm canon lens but then someone else said it would be much better quality buying 50, 85, 100,300 as separate ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    The big question is how much do you have to spend?

Post Thanks / Like
    whatever it takes really, I dont want to end up getting something rubbish and then upgrading it, it's just throwing money away. The 7d is on offer here for about $1500 and the 70-200 is about $2300 so if thats going to do me for years then I'll do that but if theres something better you'd recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you're making everyone jealous

The 7d and 70-200 2.8L IS are just superb! great combo and you wont be needing to upgrade either for a while!

The only thing about the lens is its heavy but it's the best lens I've ever used on any SLR/DSLR
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been toying with 2 lenses for a year and I still can't decide which one I want! Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I just came back from a recent trip to both Vero Beach and the Disney area near Orlando.

I brought 3 lenses: 24-70L f/2.8, 70-200L IS f/2.8 and a Sigma 15-30 f/3.5.

Sigma never came out of the bag. Only used the 70-200 down at Vero and really only brought it for use there. Our 1 day at the Universal parks and our 2 days of Disney parks, I simply carried my 1D Mark IV and 24-70 on my shoulder everywhere!

It was awesome having it at-the-ready. And every time we stopped by a PhotoPass photographer, I handed them my gear. We got pictures on both the PhotoPass and my camera. nearly everyone if them commented on the full-size body and loved it. One guy even turned and started walking away laughing. Such great folks!

If you are only going to the parks, I'd feel the 70-200 is just too long. You really never need the zoom at the parks. Instead, I'd go with something intermediate - 24-70, 24-105 or slightly cheaper with Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 (awesome lens too).

If you plan on shooting after the sun goes down, I'd recommend bringing an external flash. The internal-flashes blow. With an external flash you can control flash output power as well as the bounce angle.

Jamie

Post Thanks / Like
    wow brilliant Jamie thanks, I cant believe the photopass people will take photos using your own gear thats a brilliant tip

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by goofygal, post: 245098
    wow brilliant Jamie thanks, I cant believe the photopass people will take photos using your own gear thats a brilliant tip
    In all my previous trips, I never considered that either. But, the first photog we encountered saw the body hanging on my shoulder and just wanted to hold a 1D body :-)

Then he started snapping away. Directing us in a few poses. It was pretty funny, really.

So, I would DEFINITELY hand over your camera - regardless of how big or small. You may get a couple surprise pics!

Post Thanks / Like
    The 2 lenses I can't decide between are the 24-70 and the 24-105, I really like the low stop on the first but it's heavier and the other has IS, in this country the main problem is lack of light I find and I want to shoot indoors too so I'm swinging towards the 24-70, I'm running out of time to make up my mind! Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 245110
    The 2 lenses I can't decide between are the 24-70 and the 24-105, I really like the low stop on the first but it's heavier and the other has IS, in this country the main problem is lack of light I find and I want to shoot indoors too so I'm swinging towards the 24-70, I'm running out of time to make up my mind! Lol
    I've got both and I rarely use the 24-70L which I know will go against what many (most?) people would say. With the much better high iso of the more recent cameras, the smaller apertures arent such a problem. Now I'm a fan of really tiny selective DoF so the 24-70 is better at that but still, I find the 24-105 is the more useful. The only thing is, the distortion is quite severe at the wide end of the range but it's autocorrected nowadays in lightroom/photoshop.

The 24-70 probably does deliver slightly better quality but I find the versatility of the 24-105 just outweighs it.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast