Thread: fast lane uk passports?

Post Thanks / Like
    hiya

last time we went we saw people using a fast lane at security at orlando and a special automated fast lane at manchester airport. Now I think it 's something to do with a new uk passport which has a new chip in it but I'm really not sure does anyone else know? The line at manchester was off to the left of the huge normal immigration queue

Post Thanks / Like
    The Fastlane is mainly for either First Class passengers, those with disabilities or with very little time left before their departure time.

Thanks to our FC miles, we have managed to fly UC with VA on several of our trips and our boarding cards were stamped to use the fasttrak facility.
    I asked at the security at MCO on our last return trip and I was told that there wasn`t a fasttrak line for first class passengers there though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah now, as sir Slowhand says, the security fasttrack is there but if you mean immigration on the way back into manchester, I think I know what you mean. It's a trial and works by scanning passengers' faces comparing it to the biometrics stored on their passport chip and uses automatic gates to open when verified.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 244061
    Ah now, as sir Slowhand says, the security fasttrack is there but if you mean immigration on the way back into manchester, I think I know what you mean. It's a trial and works by scanning passengers' faces comparing it to the biometrics stored on their passport chip and uses automatic gates to open when verified.
    I did notice that one at Immigration at Manchester also Keith, however I didn`t bother using it as there was hardly anyone standing in line at Immigration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 244068
    I did notice that one at Immigration at Manchester also Keith, however I didn`t bother using it as there was hardly anyone standing in line at Immigration.
    The queue was quite large when I was last there so I was tempted but no one was completely clear which passport variant was needed for it to work :/ one with biometric photo thing, one with chip hidden, one with chip visible etc. so I didnt risk it.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    We saw people using this at Manchester last year and it was very quick, I think what you are talking about is the IRIS system.

You don't need a biometric passport for this, you just have to register at the airport once you are in departures.

There is an excerpt from their website here

To register, you must visit an IRIS enrolment room. These rooms are in the departure areas of the airport terminals listed below. You must pass through the airport security checks to reach the IRIS room, so you can only register when you are departing from the UK on a flight from one of these airports. Unless indicated otherwise, IRIS enrollment rooms are usually open 7 days a week, including most public holidays.

We will do our best to have the IRIS rooms open at the times shown below, but we cannot guarantee it. Occasionally, we may need to close the enrolment room - sometimes at short notice - if we need staff to work at the border control in the arrivals hall.

You do not need to register at every airport terminal. Once you are registered, you can use the IRIS barriers at any UK airport terminal where they are installed.

The list below tells you where each IRIS enrollment room is and its usual opening times.

(Please note that the IRIS enrolment rooms listed in our 'IRIS scheme definition document' have been superseded. Only the list below is accurate and up to date.)

?Manchester terminal 1: 06:00 to 18:00, on an on-call basis - if you want to enrol, please call the number on the enrolment station door and (subject to staffing availability) an officer will attend.
    Near gate 20 in the departure lounge.

?Manchester terminal 2: Closed until further notice.

?Gatwick North: 07:30 to 13:30.
    Turn right as you enter the departure lounge and follow the signs for gates 59-63. The IRIS room is at the bottom of the spiral ramp.

?Gatwick South: Closed until further notice - see below.

?Heathrow terminal 1: 11:00 to 17:00 daily.
    When entering the main security search area, the enrolment room is on the right, before you reach the shops. If entering via Zone K, take the corridor behind the Chocolate Box.

?Heathrow terminal 3: 08:00 to 18:30, and 19:00 to 20:30. Opposite the BAA security desk, before you reach the duty-free shops. Please note that terminal 3 enrolment room will be closed for building work from 24 January 2011 for about 3 weeks.

?Heathrow terminal 4: 09:15 to 16:00, Monday to Friday only.
    Between gates 3 & 4 - follow the signs to gates 1-6.

?Heathrow terminal 5
    : 07:30 to 19:30.
    On the departure level of the main building 5A, near the VAT desk and on your right as you approach Southern Security.

?Birmingham terminal 1: 08:00 to 12:00 and 15:00 to 20:00, on an on-call basis - if you want to enrol, please call the number on the enrolment station door and (subject to staffing availability) an officer will attend.
    In the departure lounge at terminal 1.
    A link is here to the main IRIS website How does IRIS work

Hope his helps

If ever there is a tomorrow when we're not together.......
    there is something you must always remember.
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    But the most important thing is, even if we're apart...... I'll always be with you.
    Winne the Pooh - A A Milne

A friend is a hand that is always holding yours,
    no matter how close or far apart you may be.
    A friend is someone who is always there and will always, always care.
    A friend is a feeling of forever in the heart.