Thread: GCSE options

Post Thanks / Like
    My son has got to choose his options this week, we really want him to take triple science, Spanish and history. He is think more about things he enjoys like music and drama.
    Has anyone got any advice for him?
    These are the lessons he has to take:-
    English, mathematics,entrepreneurship, BTEC sport, science, PSHE, ITC, citizenship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Drama covered most of the subject and it certain will help with his English.. Also it would be useful for PSHE and so on. I do believe that drama also improve one's ability to think creatively and develop additional skills where they have to think of others etc.

I LOVE drama

Post Thanks / Like
    He is also part of a theatre group and has been now for 3 years, he has done a number if different shows, he is also doing course work at this group.

Post Thanks / Like
    It depends whatbhe wants to do in the future, if he wants to do anything that requires one of the individual sciences then he's going to need to do those and not general science. The advice we had was to keep it as broad as possible. The school should be giving you advice on the balance of GCSEs to take, if not then you can look in your area for careers advice usually run by the local county council in your area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 244417
    It depends whatbhe wants to do in the future, if he wants to do anything that requires one of the individual sciences then he's going to need to do those and not general science. The advice we had was to keep it as broad as possible. The school should be giving you advice on the balance of GCSEs to take, if not then you can look in your area for careers advice usually run by the local county council in your area.
    The main problems he has at the moment is he really doesn't know what he waants to do, the school have adviced him to take triple science. history and the spanish as he is the gifted and talented group at school, but we don't want him to take on to much work and then hate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would always say do what he's interested in because it's better to have great grades in a subject that may not be quite the applicable one than it would be to have rubbish grades in another one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lozzy, post: 244419
    The main problems he has at the moment is he really doesn't know what he waants to do, the school have adviced him to take triple science. history and the spanish as he is the gifted and talented group at school, but we don't want him to take on to much work and then hate it.
    If he's in the gifted and talented group he shouldn't have a problem, if it was me I'd advise him to do the triple science, history ( it's good for essay and critical analysis skills) kick the Spanish and do either drama or music. For what it's worth Dan doesn't know what he wants to do yet and is in his first year of Alevels!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would definitely tell him NOT to stop doing a second language. I regret not trying harder at languages so much now. I would have never have guessed 3 years ago it would have tied in so much with my course.

I would say History is also a good one to have, but can he not take humanities so that he does Geography and RE in one package? Unless he is planning on doing an A level in something specific, I wouldn't stress too much over GCSE choices. We only had 1 choice at GCSE and I chose media studies. I had no idea I was going to do it at A-level and that it would also tie in so much with my current uni course either.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)