Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which smart phone to buy?

Post Thanks / Like
    My old nokia has given up the will to live I know how it feels

So I went out yesterday and thought it would be easy, an iphone right? but wow! you cant get one free unless youre on a 60pounds tariff or something and thats insane

So there are these other phones running android by google which look like theyre very similar to iphone but are cheaper things. The guy in the shop said they were selling more of those than anything else

theres the blackberrys but I didnt like those they look primitive compared to the others and kludgy

then there are the windows phones which I thought looked nice but the guy in the shop said they have fewer apps than the iphone

so any recommendations?

Post Thanks / Like
    It's such a toughie. Personally, I would get the iPhone It's so worth paying a supplement for the phone and when your contract is up you will easily make your money back by selling it when you upgrade.

Android just doesn't cut it for me. Out of all the phones I've used, I've never ever liked android. The menu is awkward to navigate around, and the simplest of settings seem to be hidden under about 3 different levels of options before you can change the settings! I'm still basically clueless about how to use my Mum's and she's had it for months now. It feels, at least to me, like it's unfinished and is definitely not very user-friendly. On the flip-side it does have a lot of the apps and people are now recognising that it is in such a big circulation and targeting android AND iPhone when making apps Where as in the past all the money seemed to be in Apple's app store.

You have to remember though that I started playing with Mum's android HTC phone a number of years after I became accustomed to iOS so you might find the transition easier from Nokia to Android The positive side to the Android OS is that it's open source and therefore a lot of the apps are unrestricted.

Blackberry is another that I just don't 'get' however I find them far easier to use than Androids and the Blackberry messenger function really is great. It's very easy to type on them and I know there are a lot of apps available for it If I had to choose a new phone and couldn't pick the iPhone, I think this would be my personal choice

I've not used windows mobile however I do know that many people like it. When it gets in more circulation I'm sure there'll be a lot more apps for it, too. Nokia have recently announced they are making the switch and all their future smart phones will run Windows Mobile, which will really help with the circulation

iPhones are very expensive but I honestly think they are worth every penny and they hardly lose any value if you keep them in good condition! The after-sales support is amazing and I've heard AWFUL things about HTC's support. You can literally walk into an apple store and walk back out with a new iPhone if anything goes wrong, and if you have any questions they are always more than happy to sit with you.

My Dad LOVES his iPhone, he finds it so easy to use and it really is a 'lifestyle changing' phone (Not wanting to use a cliché but I don't know what I'd do without it!)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I count myself as a bit of a cell phone expert but everything I Was going to say is in Josh's post to be honest

I prefer my windows phone to anything, iphone included and I have them all so am free to choose on a daily basis whether I'll use a blackberry, iphone 4, android nexus s or windows phone and it's been the windows phone for me all the time.

However, I dont think you can go WRONG with an iphone. It's currently got the most apps for sure so if someone says "hey Ive got a great app you should try" chances are, it'll be on the iphone. The same cant be said for windows phones which are too new and android though android is catching up.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 244621
    I count myself as a bit of a cell phone expert but everything I Was going to say is in Josh's post to be honest

I prefer my windows phone to anything, iphone included and I have them all so am free to choose on a daily basis whether I'll use a blackberry, iphone 4, android nexus s or windows phone and it's been the windows phone for me all the time.

However, I dont think you can go WRONG with an iphone. It's currently got the most apps for sure so if someone says "hey Ive got a great app you should try" chances are, it'll be on the iphone. The same cant be said for windows phones which are too new and android though android is catching up.
    I'm not sure if it's me just being a fan boy or not, but I don't like what I've seen with the windows phone.. never used one though! What do you like about the windows mobile?
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 244623
    I'm not sure if it's me just being a fan boy or not, but I don't like what I've seen with the windows phone.. never used one though! What do you like about the windows mobile?
    I mean all this stuff is personal preference so I wouldnt be offended if someone didnt like it :)

Before the iphone, I was changing my phone at least once a week if not more. Im lucky that the business in which I work needs to support all the phones so it was easy for me to just pick up whatever I fancy. It was a standing joke with everyone "what phone is keith using today?". The one that lasted longest was the nokia n95 because it did everything I needed quickly and mostly reliably. The n96 and ones that came later were rubbish but the n95 was a real star.

Then came the iphone and wow. I gave up my phone rotations :) and stuck with it getting the 2g, the 3g, the 3gs and the 4. They were all great and I loved the apps which were coming out although I dont have hundreds like some people do!

Along the way, I saw the copies from other companies coming into work, tried them and always discarded them as being vastly inferior to the iphone.

Frankly, I felt the same with android. I'm staggered it's done so well :/ other than the giant power of google behind it. I find it a poor rip off of the iphone and nothing about it feels anywhere near as polished!

Enter windows phone. Before launch date I was saying to people Microsoft is SO dead in the water, how could they come close to the iphone. Then I got it and I was staggered! Windows phone doesnt have the same icons on the screen as iphone/android, you get a great looking "live tiles" view. The tiles on the front screen sit there showing you in a real time animated view who's doing what. Facebook shows the faces of people posting and things like that. You can drag any tiles-aware app to the front screen so twitter apps/facebook etc all do this instant update thing.

Discover | Windows Phone 7

Meanwhile, the fonts look really fresh and new. There's a theme to the whole thing with large fonts and really well themed colours. It's EXTREMELY attractive and nice to use.

Now, I do nothing with it that I Couldn't do on the iphone let me be clear about that! In fact, the iphone has many more apps so someone could argue the reverse BUT there's nothing that I need to do on the windows phone that I can't do. Perhaps if I had an iphone app that didnt exist on windows I'd feel differently.

The difference for me is ironically what I say to people about mac v windows! You can do the same thing on both but the mac just looks and feels nicer. Ironically that's the thing with windows phone, it looks and feels nicer to me than the iphone.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Have the Droid Eris and really do enjoy it. However I like the look of the new windows phones.

Post Thanks / Like
    i ordered an iphone 4 yesterday, being delivered in 3 weeks :)
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    When can we expect to see an iPhone 5?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire, post: 244674
    When can we expect to see an iPhone 5?
    expected June or thereabouts

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 244675
    expected June or thereabouts
    Just when I'm due an upgrade! Do you know what will be new with this one Keith?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast