Thread: I'm going to get preachy

Post Thanks / Like
    As you may know, I work with people who have substance abuse problems. The stories I hear are awful. I received a call earlier from a former client who had been very successful.....but he relapsed and just lost everything

It's really this simple: Drugs are BAD. Don't do them. It's not worth it. Tell anyone and everyone who will listen. They ruin lives, not just yours but everyone around you.

Now, sure, there are people who can do drugs and walk away unscathed. But guess what? It's like playing russian roulette since you don't know if you'll be the lucky one to escape.

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Very true. I've seen people end up with nothing. It's so sad. I've seen family become shells of themselves and also have nothing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Totally agree Johnie, I hate what they do to people.

Post Thanks / Like
    totally agree recently due to a family breakdown ive moved and completley changed my career and life.i now work in a drug rehabilitation clinic and at first was completley shocked by what and who i saw.gone are the days of being able to spot the drug user (yes i know you will still see the local users with there gaunt spotty faces) but alot of our clients are clean smart working professionals. now to look at them you wouldnt tell but under the suits and smart clothes are some seriously screwed up people with serious addictions.
    ive seen familys torn apart by how cocaine, heroin or what ever the drug of choice has done to the user how its made them totally selfish, totally reckless.

i agree with the op opinion DONT DO IT NOT EVEN ONCE DONT TRY IT its not worth it there are legal highs out there try some adrenalin go abseiling , get your adrenelin running the natural way , rock climbing , kayaking any sport really will do it and its not addictive !!!! it wont ruin your life and you might meet a whole group of new friends
    charlie

Post Thanks / Like
    i also work with drug users on a daily basis ......and some of them are the nicest people you could meet .....they just ended up on the wrong path
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tb2830, post: 245375
    i also work with drug users on a daily basis ......and some of them are the nicest people you could meet .....they just ended up on the wrong path

Yes they do...through circumstances rather than choice a lot of the time

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof2, post: 245376
    Yes they do...through circumstances rather than choice a lot of the time

one guy got into it after his sister was kidnapped and murdered .....he is a truly lovely guy and bakes us the best cakes ever.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Another road to unintentional drug dependance is unmitigated grief. I see that often in the elderly. It happens quite innocently... a "general scenario," the husband dies. He was taking a narcotic analgesic for back pain. The wife hurts herself in some manner (lifting something usually) and "just takes one of his" pills because they are there and that is the 'norm' for this cohort group. A slow and sure road to dependancy. Doctors often prescribe class narcotics for discomfort when something much milder (or therapy!) would do instead.

It's never wise to judge, and too easy to say, "don't start." Not all chemical dependancies are a result of recreational use of street drugs.

As for recovery from substance abuse, it is a well established understanding that recovery is a series of relapses. The good therapist understands that stretching the time between relapses is the first key to finally getting free of the chemical.

Unfortunately, many drug dependent clients/patients/people end up committing suicide before they can get clean. As the son of one of my clients said, "Mama, I just can't fight this anymore. I'm tired."

Crushing and brutal realities of drug misuse.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    Good point Tink. Chronic pain can also be a huge risk to becoming dependent. My dad is an example of that.

Myself? When prescribed narcotics (after surgery), I don't want to take them. I'm so afraid of getting addicted. Then I'm afraid that if I really need them then the dr won't prescribe more

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!