Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: would you take children in term time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Another problem we have, the prices in school holiday time are just outrageous.

We've been told in a letter to all parents that absence for holidays will not be granted and our first feeling is who the heck are they to grant us anything anyway. Dont they work for us as public sector workers?

Anyway emotion aside, we're debating whether the children would get more out of school at a winding down date close to school holidays or more from disney with the extra money we can spend there if we save by going at that time.

How bad would it be if they have unauthorised absence on their record? I mean employers wont see it or care, would universities really care about a 2 week holidays?

Post Thanks / Like
    We have always taken our children during school time and it was only our last trip in November that my eldest had his holiday refused by the school, we still took him and the school did send a letter but we haven't had any come back from it.
    We were hoping to go back to Florida next year during the school summer holidays because our eldest son has just picked his options and we really didn't want to take him out of school, but after looking at this years prices we might have to rethink.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it depends on the age of your child. If they do well as a whole and are in the lower grades then we would take them for vacation. Once they hit high school that was a different story.

Post Thanks / Like
    We always take them end of August beginning of Sept and they usually miss the first week back in school - with 5 of us the price is really high and economically it makes better sense - they are always unauthorised but we don't get a letter or anything it's just on their end of year report as unauthorised.

I know lost of people disagree with taking children out of school but we have never found it has held ours back at all

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    we have always taken ours out of school, i agree with you who the heck are they to say if we can or cant, i think they learn more anyway as its life learning. we always went end of october so one week would always be in term time. its different if they are at an age when they are doing coursework for gcse' but if its at a time when its not as important time in the term then id say do it, it up to you what you do

so id defo take them out
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote="ukwdwnut, post: 245163"]we always took our out of school, i agree with you who the heck are they to say if we can or cant, i think they learn more anyway as its life learning. QUOTE]

Harsh

I work in a school. I see kids that are struggling in school taken away for two weeks on holiday so they fall further behind and then the parents blame the school because their kids are failing.

I agree it's your choice. Just don't blame us if your child falls behind. We can't teach them if they are not there.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think these things need to be thought out in advance, if its an important time for them or are missing lessons in the run up to exams or something then i dont think its a good idea to take them out, otherwise id have no problems taking dd out of school for a couple of weeks

Post Thanks / Like
    Tough choice. I see both sides but having worked in a school before and hoping to again in the near future I'm always amazed at how much work children do in one day alone. Times that by ten and that is a lot of work missed. I've seen many times the general advice is if you are going to do it try to do it at the end of a school year.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have in the past taken them out of primary school for four days before the October half term to make a two week holiday. Now DS is at secondary I wouldn't personally take him out of school for holidays any more, that said he may in the next couple of years have the opportunity to travel with his sport and if that is the case then I would let him go and the school seems OK with this anyway going by other students experiences and they are encouraged to write up their experience.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    my kids school just says put your hoilday dates in writing although they will not authorise it they dont say anything or refuse it, i have taken them out of school because children need education and life experiences!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast