Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: would you take children in term time?

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, i think it depends on how often you go, if you are lucky enough to afford a couple of trips a year or maybe even once a year then you need to think about it more and go in the holidays.

Post Thanks / Like
    [quote="Dawn, post: 245176"]
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 245163
    we always took our out of school, i agree with you who the heck are they to say if we can or cant, i think they learn more anyway as its life learning. QUOTE]

Harsh

I work in a school. I see kids that are struggling in school taken away for two weeks on holiday so they fall further behind and then the parents blame the school because their kids are failing.

I agree it's your choice. Just don't blame us if your child falls behind. We can't teach them if they are not there.
    if you read my post correctly you would see i only ever taken them out for 5 days, as the rest is in holiday time

also

to answer your other dont blame us if your kids fall behind....i think mine are doing really well

lauren has had her own business in the west midlands when she lived up there for four years...now has one here, and after two years only after her accountant said be prepared to lose money first year, break even second year and make a small profit third year well in her 2nd year her turnover is close to 50k which i think for missing 16 days school overall is really good.

michael is at uni and doing very well thank you

didnt hurt them any did it :D

and my last point is

i dont see you saying what you said to me to the original poster, so WHY say it to me????

i also work in a school and it hasnt hurt any of the students education whatsoever
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    I might be wrong Mick but I think the part Dawn thought was harsh was where you said they "learn more" and not the rest of your post. As I say though, I might be totally wrong!

Post Thanks / Like
    yep just a quick friendly reminder to all :)

It's fine to robustly argue for/against a point but nothing less than utmost respect and curtesy must be shown to fellow forum members.

This is a "no digs allowed" forum. Lets keep it nice, friendly and somewhere we can all think of as our happy place when we can't be at Disney

Thanks all
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ukwdwnut, post: 245248
    [
    i dont see you saying what you said to me to the original poster, so WHY say it to me????
    Because the original poster didn't use an aggressive tone and get all uppity about it. And they used capital letters and full stops.

Post Thanks / Like
    always took my kids out of school on holidays and had school question this but im affraid its all well and good say go in school holidays but when your husband works 18 hour days during summer holidays and easter holidays and other school holidays are busy times when you have your own buisness it isnt always so easy so when it came down to it it was either go away in a quiet time for our buisness or not have a holiday. cowns need milked 365 days a year and crops grow in other times so for us it wasnt even an option.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have taken my children in term time 2 or 3 times.

I spoke with teachers or head teachers, working around what they were doing at school and went in July when they were winding down for the holidays, apart from WDW when we went in June.

Again, this was checked prior to arranging and the school was absolutely fine about it.

Once my eldest started high school though we stopped and went on less expensive holidays in August, my youngest is going to high school in September so still no more term time holidays for us!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have taken them out a couple of times in secondary school, once for a close friends bah mitzvah in 2007, 3 days before the end of term in 2009 and a week at the beginning of term next school year, yes I know it's not ideal but I can't get 2 weeks together in the summer hols as there are too many people at work fighting over leave. I really don't think you can say a theme park holiday quantifies as an educational trip, yes there are some things to learn but a weeks worth? . I do really value travel in the upbringing of my children though.

I believe in a parents right to make these decisions for themselves, some children it won't affect, others it could cause problems in their academic work. I don't think I would support having more than 2 weeks off extra a year though unless it was something like spending a month with a hill tribe or something

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12