Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buy a desktop or a laptop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 245179
    Mick, removable hard drives will plug into a laptop just as easily as a desk top. And these days they have 1 Terrabyte drives that are not much bigger, if that, than a deck of cards.
    If performance or throughput is an issue though, be careful what you pick out for external drives. USB stinks for data transfer. FireWire 400 is OK. FireWire 800 is better. Best though, eSata. Some of the newer laptops/desktops have an external eSata port.

Rather than spending money on external drives, where you pay extra for a fancy enclosure and power supply, I bought a drive dock:

NewerTech Voyager Q- Quad Interface SATA 2.... (FWU2ES2HDK) at OWC

This allows you to buy standard eSata internal disks for external use. A 1TB internal drive is a fraction of the cost of a decent 1TB external drive. And, you don't need the fancy power supply or case. I bought the drive dock and 2 x 1TB eSata drives for under $200 after Christmas to add to my redundant backup arsenal (I shoot about 300-400GB per year digitally).

The nice thing with this particular dock is it supports USB2.0/FW400/FW800 and eSata. So, I bought an eSata card for my desktop to ensure fastest possible data transfer speeds.

Jamie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStrickPhoto, post: 245181
    Jamie,

I've got a couple of those too but the ones that I have don't look like a toaster!

That's hysterical!

Tom (... you'll like the Intel!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Do share, Tom. Curious to see what other docks are out there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually, mine is more like a hot swappable external enclosure. Slide out tray that holds the drive. Don't know who made it. The label is long since gone. Similar to this.

Tom (... on a clear disk, you can seek forever!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh sure - kinda like a raid enclosure that's just not in raid configuration.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK Tom and Jamie, my desktop went belly up several weeks ago. I think it is as simple as getting a new power pack but if I were to buy one of these could I take the hard drive out of my desk top and plug it into this and get it to work?

Oh and what does one of these eSata slots look like on the laptop?

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    I would personally go with the higher end mac laptops. I do graphics (for this forum and for my own website) and I can cope with the 13" screen on my macbook. My iMac was a 24" one and was perfect but this just gets me by with this screen size, I do wish I'd got a 17" mac book pro now.

If you just do the odd bit of photo editing or video processing, then a white macbook would be ideal Remember if you are a lecturer, student or work in education you get a pretty hefty discount, often meaning you can get the higher-end laptops for not a lot more than the lower end ones
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 245205
    I do wish I'd got a 17" mac book pro now.
    Thats really interesting! So if you did it again, you'd trade a larger screen against portability?

It's something I've often pondered myself. 15"ish always seems like a good compromise but then I see a 17" screen and think wow
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 245206
    Thats really interesting! So if you did it again, you'd trade a larger screen against portability?

It's something I've often pondered myself. 15"ish always seems like a good compromise but then I see a 17" screen and think wow
    In all honesty I don't think the difference between 15" and 17" would be enough for me to notice the difference in portability I forgot they did a 15" version though so would probably go with that for affordability reasons
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by uscwest, post: 245199
    Oh and what does one of these eSata slots look like on the laptop?
    Looks like this:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast