Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How long for New York - any hints/tips/advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Next summer, we're thinking of either going to New York on the way to Orlando or taking a few days in the middle of our holiday and getting a return flight to Orlando.

What would you say is the minimum amount of days we would need to see the major attractions?

Any tips on flights?
    Any suggestions for hotels?

Any info at all will be gratefully received as it's all totally new to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    We stayed in July for 4 nights at the Affinia Manhattan, booked through Hotels.com

It was right opposite Madison square gardens and we walked everywhere - I absolutely loved Ny and can't wait to go back

We booked Virgin to JFK and then homebound from MCO toGatwick.

We booked our internal flight separately to Orlando and used JetBlue, the flight was $81... bargain

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    We spent 5 days in New York a few years ago as a package trip to see Eric Clapton at Madison Square Gdns. [No surprise there then! ]
    I reckon that you would be able to see most of the "touristy" parts in around 3 days at a fairly leisurely pace [Empire State Bldg., Statue of Liberty, Central Park, Macy`s etc.etc....maybe a show on Broadway?]

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much guys
    I think I'm going to need a lot of help with organising this little trip so I'll probably have lots of questions.
    Sandra - great tip on using the internal flight from JFK to MCO

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember that VA fly to NY Diane so maybe you could get a good deal on your FC miles.
    I`m told that there are more reward seats to NY than to MCO so they should be easier to come by.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowhand, post: 245514
    Remember that VA fly to NY Diane so maybe you could get a good deal on your FC miles.
    I`m told that there are more reward seats to NY than to MCO so they should be easier to come by.
    Thanks - all tips greatly appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no idea of the scale of things in New York. The idea of being able to walk to each attraction from a hotel sounds great.

Places I can think of that we would like to see are
    Empire State Building
    Statue of Liberty
    Central Park
    Times Square
    Ground Zero
    Watch a broadway show

Am I missing anything? Any of the above not worth it?

Post Thanks / Like
    We did Rockefellar Centre too and St Patricks Church which is right opposite it so I would add those to your list too.

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    It is a lot of walking - we stayed on West 35st - 1 street away from the Empire State Building about a 10 minute walk to Times Square. We had 9 days and had very long days with lots of walking and still there was a fair bit we didn't see.

An idea of timings - we spent a whole day in Central Park and we only got around just over half of it (including The Central Park zoo).
    Statue of Liberty Day we were on the first ferry at 9am (you need to arrive quite a bit earlier than that to clear the airport style security) we did Liberty, Ellis Island and we were back 'on the mainland' at about 1pm. The queue for the ferry at that time was probably a couple of hours long!! So top tip get there early! Oh and if you want Crown access you need to book in advance.

Also I much preferred the Top of the Rock (rockerfeller centre) over the Empire State Building. We did the Top of the Rock again first thing as it opened and we had it pretty much to ourselves - the view of Central Park from there is amazing!! You also get to see The Empire State Building which obviously you don't from the ESB itself! The ESB we did late at night to get a different perspective and it was just one big push and shove to get a space to see! Nothing like the romantic image I had of it!

DD and I saw Wicked! DH and DS went to a Yankees game.

Other things we really enjoyed were the circle line boat trip around manhatten, we did tours of both Madison Square Gardens, Radio City Music Hall and NBC studios - all were excellent! Loved an evening bus tour we did over to Brooklyn to view the NY skyline at night too.

We bought a New York pass which gave us admission to all those places, they sell them for varying amounts of days.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by arkvilla, post: 245517
    We did Rockefellar Centre too and St Patricks Church which is right opposite it so I would add those to your list too.

Sandra
    Thanks Sandra

Lisa......
    I have so many questions
    Did the time you mentioned at CPZ include your visit to CPZoo?
    What time of year did you go for the queues to be so long?
    What is Crown access?
    Any links for the tours?
    More info on the New York pass please.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast