Thread: How to take photos of animals?

Post Thanks / Like
    We're going to spend several days at the animal kingdom, busch gardens, seaworld and more in the everglades.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get great photos of animals?

I have a canon s95 and a canon 60d but not that many lenses

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the Canon S95! Fantastic little camera.

I just read on the Nikon website (I have Nikon D40) that when taking pictures of animals you should aim to have an eye apparent in the picture. This makes it look like there is a connection between the animal and the camera.

Just a thought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mkjon, post: 245789
    I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to get great photos of animals?
    One word - patience.
    We spend a lot of time with the animals and have been rewarded with some amazing photos over the years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Isafari, post: 245801
    One word - patience.
    We spend a lot of time with the animals and have been rewarded with some amazing photos over the years.
    I completely agree, my hubby can stand there for hours just watching the gorillas at Animal Kingdom. We have found that a monopod helps for stability too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another key is framing. The animal should not be walking (or flying) out of your picture. Don't necessarily center them in the frame either.

Basically, if the subject is walking from left-to-right, have them more left in the frame giving them "space" to walk (or fly) towards.

A good rule of thumb is to refer to the Rule of thirds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Post Thanks / Like
    is it possible to get good shots with a compact like that small canon ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course!

It's never the camera that takes a good picture, it's the person behind the camera.

The camera may not have enough zoom to get as close as you'd like. Maybe it doesn't have a lot of megapixels to blow the picture up to poster-size. But, a $90 compact (point-n-shoot) can take just as good a picture as a $5000 SLR.

It's all in how YOU behind the camera expose AND compose the shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    thats so cool, what compact would you recommend for a starter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by goofygal, post: 245842
    thats so cool, what compact would you recommend for a starter?
    Per my favorite review site:

Under $150:
    Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS

$150-$250
    Canon PowerShot SX130 IS
    Nikon Coolpix S8100

Here's the review site I always share with folks whenever I am asked to recommend a camera.

http://www.steves-digicams.com

I prefer this site over others as he (they) never endorse any one specific brand. All the reviews are written on the specific camera alone and are quite unbiased.

I'd recommend first deciding on your budget. Keep in mind that you aren't just buying a camera. You will also need a media card and possibly batteries and a case. Therefore, if you say your budget is $200, allocate $40 for a decent media card and another $40 for a case (if you want a protective case). If the camera requires AA batteries, expect to pay $30 for a set of 4 AAs with a recharger.

When you are ready to purchase, don't buy at the retail level as you'll likely pay way too much. Instead, go to THE leader in camera sales, http://www.bhphotovideo.com

I've bought well-over $20000 in camera equipment, supplies and accessories from B&H over the years. They are the best and nearly always the cheapest.

Jamie

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JStrickPhoto, post: 245845
    Instead, go to THE leader in camera sales, http://www.bhphotovideo.com

They are the best and nearly always the cheapest.

Tom (... another BH Photo/Video fan!)