Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY! galleries are up.

Post Thanks / Like
    As a few of you know, my wife & I recently honeymooned via my folks' DVC gift of a week's stay.

So, we spent a few nights at Disney's Vero Beach. I cannot recommend this resort enough. Some say "there's nothing to do there." You are exactly correct! You aren't supposed to do anything :-)

We took our morning and afternoon beach walks. I kept my trusty camera by my side. I captured sunrises, gulls, terns, pelicans.

We visited my favorite nearby parks - Sebastian Inlet State Park as well as Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge.

Then, we headed back towards Orlando for a few more nights at Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa. If you stay here - try to get into Congress Park. That area is on the lagoon side opposite Downtown Disney so you are never more than a short 5-10 minute walk away!

Enough rambling, here are galleries from our visit: Honeymoon 2011

I'm still working on the Disney gallery so hopefully that's up in the next couple days.

Enjoy - Jamie

Post Thanks / Like
    Lovely photos Jamie, looks like you had a fab honeymoon :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa1976, post: 246385
    Lovely photos Jamie, looks like you had a fab honeymoon :)
    Thanks Lisa. We had great weather and we're already planning a return visit next winter!

Post Thanks / Like
    Love the beach shots - gorgeous

Post Thanks / Like
    Stunning sunrise shots, we have a sea view in august in our vero beach hotel (costa d'este) any tips?

Post Thanks / Like
    oh my gosh, absolutely stunning shots Jamie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof2, post: 246459
    oh my gosh, absolutely stunning shots Jamie!
    Quote Originally Posted by britchick, post: 246446
    Stunning sunrise shots, we have a sea view in august in our vero beach hotel (costa d'este) any tips?
    Thanks for the comments!

First, I'll share a great resource: 12 Tips for Photographing Stunning Sunsets

Now that you've had a few moments to glance over that, I'll give you MY take on things.

The sun will rise about 30-40 degrees to the right, if you are looking straight out from the Vero Beach Resort. First recommendation: find out when the sun will rise each morning of your visit. I believe they keep this at the front desk.

Set your alarm. Look outside. If it's cloudy, perfect! Be down on the beach at least 15 -20 minutes before sunrise. Most of the magic happens before the sun cracks the horizon to just after it's broke the horizon.

Yes, cloudy days often produce more stunning photos than clear skies, as evidenced by my gallery.

As far as how to capture a sunrise? That depends on gear. Are you shooting point-n-shoot or dSLR? In either case, I can't stress enough to use a tripod. If you aren't lugging one along, then go to the deck where you checkout chairs on the pier. Hold you camera securely against the railing on the deck.

Regardless of what you are shooting, read it's manual and be very familiar with how to:

• shoot manually
    • bracket exposures
    • exposure compensation

I will tell you that each of those dramatic sunrise images I posted took on average 10-15 minutes PER image to edit/post-process.

Why? Here's the secret/trick to good sunrise (and sunsets too) images. You'll find that a properly metered and exposed shot doesn't convey what your eye is seeing. If you expose for the clouds/sky, the water is black. If you expose for the water, the sky is black.

What to do... Do both! In every single one of my images, each image is actually 3 images. It's called HDR (High Dynamic Range). I took one exposure at -1EV, another at 0EV and a third at +1EV. Basically, one image under-exposed to preserve the color from the sun or bright sky at the horizon (-1EV). A second exposure at 0EV for ambient light. And, a final exposure that is over-exposing the sun/sky but preserving the details and contrast in the beach or water.

You then blend these three exposures in Photoshop (File>Automate>merge HDR) or use a program like Photomatix, which does most of the work for you. You'll adjust luminosity, white point, black point, gamma, etc. That gives you a single image with a lot of potential.

Next, you open this image in your favorite editing software. For me, that's Photoshop. I have a suite of plug-ins for Photoshop from NIK Software. I ran NIK Efex Tonal Contrast to add contrast and structure to the clouds as well as slightly boost saturation but I only applied that to things above the horizon. In some images, I applied NIK Efex Glamour Glow to the water elements to smooth the water and also boost it's saturation. Lastly, I run NIK Dfine 2.0 to reduce overall image noise.

So, you can see that getting a good image isn't just luck, it's also preparation. I took over 200 pictures of that sunrise. 200 pictures in about a 30-minute window. Believe me, a bunch saw the garbage can :-)

So, what if you don't have all that fancy software nor a fancy camera? Just take a handful of photos. But, try to take a couple where the focal point is the clouds, or the water, or the beach... That will drastically change how your resulting image looks as your camera meters the exposure on those lighter and darker elements in the scene.

And all the post-processing I did may seem like an awful lot of work - it WAS! But I have high standards of what I keep, what I post and what I sell.

After-all, these will be YOUR images so YOU put forth whatever effort makes sense to you. the key is to be prepared. Sometimes the least good-looking conditions produce the BEST conditions!

More questions? Feel free to ask away. There's a few skilled photographers here and I'm guessing everyone is more than willing to help you preserve your memories!

Good luck and happy shooting - Jamie

Post Thanks / Like
    I will be shooting with a DSLR, have a tripod. I use CS2 to edit my photos, I'm comfortable with that now. Thanks for the tips

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent! I'd recommend lens coverage in the 20-100 range for your sunrise. I don't recall the focal length in these images but I'll look at EXIF data tonight. I'm guessing somewhere between 30-55mm.

If you have a cable release, I'd recommend that as well. I was using the wired remote on my 1D Mark IV on these shots. I was about 2 feet up from where the surf was rising towards.

Next time, I will probably shoot much lower by laying on the beach. That perspective can really change the outcome!

Jamie

Post Thanks / Like
    I took a look at many of your photos and they are beautiful! There is one of a wolf that is stunning!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast