Thread: Private health care?

Post Thanks / Like
    We had bupa through work but the new place doesn't offer it and we're thinking about whether it's worth getting or not.

Do you have private health care and do you think it's worth the money?

Post Thanks / Like
    i did have bupa when i was full time, but now i can only work PT because of my health i just cant afford it, but saying that, im looked after by the top consultant in his field and his team of wonderful NHS nurses at the royal free in london. so i really dont need it :D
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    I've been back and forth on this one when various places have offered it.

On one hand, I have relatives who work for the nhs then do private work too. Same people, I'm assuming same level of competence unless their knowledge/experience suddenly jumps a notch when they're doing their private work. So, same people, already paying via taxation, do I want to pay again?

Then the more people who pay privately, it feels like the more people over there will get paid leading to rises in how much the NHS has to pay for resources the more we all moan, the less they can then afford and the more we all go private again :/

So it all feels so horribly counterproductive to a national health system which I very much believe is the best idea ever (just needs better funding and a heck of a lot more respect from us all)

So that's that side. Then of course I have to try and look objectively at the situation as it is today for me and my family. The sad fact is that for a lot of stuff, the NHS is overstretched and so whereas I want to support it all I can, if it's a choice between being seen in 6 months on NHS or tomorrow privately then it's a really easy choice :/

So it's arghsome and it's argsome right now at work. We're debating adding private health care as a benefit for employees and it feels like a good and bad thing to do all at the same time
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com

Post Thanks / Like
    My Dad can have private healthcare through his benefits at work and 9/10 he uses standard NHS services and we've never had a problem with the NHS. I do think people are very derogatory about the NHS when really we are extremely lucky to have such a system in place, no matter how overstretched it might be
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by josh.p., post: 246659
    I do think people are very derogatory about the NHS when really we are extremely lucky to have such a system in place, no matter how overstretched it might be
    i agree josh. so glad we have such a system too, theres no way i could afford over 120k a year for the drugs i need to keep me alive thats for sure
    Mick

Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    We have PPP through Jai's work and I have used it to speed up being seen etc.

I use both.

We are very lucky here in the UK with tthe NHS and I think it's often taken for granted.

Sandra
    Sandra

Post Thanks / Like
    Private health care has it's place, if you use it to expedite a scan or to have a very specific operation etc then there are definite advantages.

However, because of the 'joined up' nature of the nhs departments for most problems you will receive a much much better service and a far mo holistic approach to your problem on the NHS. cancer care and cardiac care are two areas I would never consider venturing outside of NHS care

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with what Skywatcher has said above. Great to get a quicker consultant appointment, or scan, Jon needed an MRI a few months ago and he would have waited a lot longer had we not got one done privately. However for anything like an operation I would prefer to go NHS.