Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 31

Thread: To recline or not to recline, that's the question

  1. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    16,529
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do not recline. Of course, I have not flown for many, many hours either.

    However, if you do want to recline...may I ask that you please give a heads up to the person behind you? I didn't say you have to ask permission, just let them know so they can move their head or their drink. I've been bonked in the head and had my drink spilt on me.












    I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

  2. #12
    Administrator keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    21,118
    Post Thanks / Like
    You know what? the real problem is with an industry that packs people in like sardines in the first place! heck, if I was stuck on a bus with so little legroom I'd be unhappy yet we put up with it for 10 hours on a plane!

    I saw this question posed by virgin atlantic as a bit of a game on facebook and I don't want to make a federal case out of it or anything but I did kinda shake my head and think ouch that they'd ask the question in the first place. There'd be no need for an etiquette if there was just enough space to recline a little bit without jamming your seat into the face of the person sitting behind.

    If they're not going to find more space for economy especially, then I think they have to limit the recline to make it slower to happen and only recline to about half what it does now.

    I say all that as someone who firmly believes that we should all be allowed to recline but if we can make it better for everyone we should do.
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com







  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 247014
    You know what? the real problem is with an industry that packs people in like sardines in the first place! heck, if I was stuck on a bus with so little legroom I'd be unhappy yet we put up with it for 10 hours on a plane!

    I saw this question posed by virgin atlantic as a bit of a game on facebook and I don't want to make a federal case out of it or anything but I did kinda shake my head and think ouch that they'd ask the question in the first place. There'd be no need for an etiquette if there was just enough space to recline a little bit without jamming your seat into the face of the person sitting behind.

    If they're not going to find more space for economy especially, then I think they have to limit the recline to make it slower to happen and only recline to about half what it does now.

    I say all that as someone who firmly believes that we should all be allowed to recline but if we can make it better for everyone we should do.
    I'd like to start off in saying, please don't shoot the messenger, as this is the knowledge I have gathered from the industry (not this specific case).

    1. Changing a design, or creating a modification is a no no when that particular part is serviceable / in working order, it's just too expensive (trust me).

    2. Airliners will always look to maximize profits (I don't think I need to gain any trust here!).

    3. It would be easier and cheaper to take out a row of seats and spread the space in the cabin. But I refer you to reason #2 again.

    Okay, we are jam packed like a tin of sardines... It could be worst!
    Check these links out:

    Link #1 Link #2 Link #3

    What we should be fighting for is the day light robbery Air Passenger Duty Tax! flying from Heathrow is already expensive, and they want to increase the duties again...

    I much prefer the current layout! than to be standing up in a tin can.

  4. #14
    Administrator keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    21,118
    Post Thanks / Like
    definitely not going to shoot the messenger and certainly under no illusions as to why it isn't done but I think all the best innovation comes from asking why and how can we make things better. If it turns out that this is a big niggle for a large amount of people and one airline can find a clever fix, then the costs can be paid for by competitive advantage. So heck, it's worth a bit of a moan I reckon? ;-)

    The standing up thing well, given security these days, I wonder how long before we're all just knocked out for ten hours, slid into a tiny capsule and woken up at the other end.

    You're 100% bang on right about the scandalous air passenger duty tax of course. Nothing's going to come down on that one though, it's only going to go up and up until it's back to the bad old days when only the rich could afford to fly. Sadly, like fuel duty, it's too easy a tax to collect and any time anyone complains about it, they get the green argument thrown back at them. Very annoying
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com







  5. #15
    Senior Member Esmeralda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,465
    Post Thanks / Like
    The day they try to make me stand the whole way is the day I take my money elsewhere.




  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always recline my seat on the way home (which is always a night flight) during the flight out i keep it upright. I always do it really slowly too, and feel slightly relieved when i check that the person behind me has already reclined theirs before i start moving mine!!

    As for children, well if dd pulls herself up with the seat infront or kicks shes gets told not to do that because the person infront wont like it very much. There is nothing worse than being knocked about in your seat by the child behind!



  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    This type of argument really annoys me as they do not think who it might affect. I agree to pre-warn the person behind you. Sadly our holidays to Florida with Beth are very curtailed now due to us having to fly UC with her and with rocketing prices I am unsure we will ever again. I booked to take her to London recently and had to choose an airline were seats reclined as I thought she could cope for an hour. Sadly that airline cancelled all flights, we were offered another carrier but their seats do not recline so we could not fly with them and will now have a 5 hour journey by train with Beth pumped full of pain relief to get there. We also have less time in London. People need to think how it may affect others by not being able to recline.

  8. #18
    Administrator keith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    21,118
    Post Thanks / Like
    It goes both ways doesnt it thats for sure! no one seems to think about whether the person reclining really needs to for health reasons.

    To be honest, it says more about a society that's becoming ever more intolerant. Not good really
    Disney information? Try our online guidebook at http://wdisneysecrets.com
    Get your own Disney Countdown at http://toys.wdisneysecrets.com







  9. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Billericay,Essex, UK
    Posts
    11,340
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 247125
    To be honest, it says more about a society that's becoming ever more intolerant. Not good really
    definitely true, same goes with driving here, its getting really out of control with road rage
    Mick

    Sunridge Woods Villa Oct 2000 & 2002
    Esprit/Calabay Parc Oct 2004
    Sunset Ridge Oct 2008



  10. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Cornwall
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith, post: 247125
    It goes both ways doesnt it thats for sure! no one seems to think about whether the person reclining really needs to for health reasons.

    To be honest, it says more about a society that's becoming ever more intolerant. Not good really
    You have hit the nail on the head Keith, most but not all thankfully can not see past their own needs or wants.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •