Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Learning a musical instrument

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd really like to learn an instrument, Im not sure between piano or a guitar but how would I go about it as an adult :/ anyone old tried to learn the piano ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AKLnut, post: 247581
    I'd really like to learn an instrument, Im not sure between piano or a guitar but how would I go about it as an adult :/ anyone old tried to learn the piano ??
    You should absolutely try! It's very satisfying and, with diligent practice, is quite doable for any age. Do you have any current musical experience? Can you read sheet music? Do you currently have a piano or keyboard?

Tom (... I need to play our piano more often!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I confess this is my one regret - I sort of taght myself guitar using TAB not reading usic properly but that was all because of a love of rock based music

I suppose for me the first question would be 'what sort of music do you love most' then go for any instrument that will let you play that

Post Thanks / Like
    If I may be so bold. Let me suggest to both of you the following:

Learn and Master

They have several courses but primarily, they have one for piano and one for guitar.

I have their guitar course and if you've never touched an instrument or have no idea how to read music, it's great. They start at the beginning and slowly work you through. Teach you how to read music, how to play. For real. Not just teaching you a few songs and calling it done. It's really quite a good set of courses. And I say that from the position of someone who had years of musical training. It's all done on your computer using DVD's, CD's, real books and of course, your own instrument.

Follow along with either of these courses and you WILL learn how to play and make music.

All it takes is your personal dedication.

Tom (... hope this helps. I think everyone should learn to make music!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 247588
    I suppose for me the first question would be 'what sort of music do you love most' then go for any instrument that will let you play that
    I agree with that. There's quite a difference between the piano and a guitar. Picture yourself in 5 years, having learnt one of those. Which can you see yourself using more? :)

I learnt basic drumming a while ago, when 'not so young'.. Because I adore drums I found it reasonably easy. When I can afford it, I want to learn to play the banjo. And buy a drum kit. :D

Good luck.. and enjoy!
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MystikPiglit, post: 247603
    When I can afford it, I want to learn to play the banjo

Sorry Sticky , but its ben far too long since I've replied to one of your posts witha photo ;)

Post Thanks / Like

That's a fair likeness... just missing the blonde hair. :D
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skywatcher, post: 247605
    Sorry Sticky , but its ben far too long since I've replied to one of your posts witha photo ;)

Perfect! I'm stealing a copy of that image! Among all the other things vying for my time, I'm also learning to play the banjo.

What kind of banjo playing are you planning on MP? Blue grass, Tenor, Irish Tenor?

Here's my banjo...

Someday, I'd like to get an Irish Tenor also!

Tom (... nosy fella!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher, post: 247618
    What kind of banjo playing are you planning on MP? Blue grass, Tenor, Irish Tenor?
    Tom (... nosy fella!)
    Well, I don't know much about the instruments themselves yet but the music I like is bluegrass/cajun/zydeco.

Nice banjo. How long have you been playing?
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MystikPiglit, post: 247626
    How long have you been playing?
    Ohhh... not long at all. Just something else to take up time I don't have.

There's a guy on Youtube that I've taken some guitar lessons (via Skype) from who also has some banjo song lessons out there. He's quite an amazing musician and he teaches mostly via Skype and has canned lessons on Youtube. So, I've been learning Cripple Creek from him. His name is Rob Bourassa and his banjo lessons on Youtube are pretty much these three bluegrass songs:

Cripple Creek
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/f8Xn3xCqF_I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Man of Constant Sorrow
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/efTRD9i_FD0?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Foggy Mountain Breakdown
    <iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XoYMgLRv3Ns?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's fun and something else just to mess with!

Tom (... easily entertained!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast