Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the Internet killing the English language and should we care?

Post Thanks / Like
    I feel like a rant. I may even look like a rant

Is it just me, or is the Internet killing the English language? I'm sure the schools are still teaching English grammar but yet half the posts and blogs on the Internet are hard to read with all the mis-spellings.

"Could of" instead of "Could have". I mean the shortened version is could've as in the have is shortened to 've. How could that ever be "could of" ?

"theyre ipod" instead of "their ipod". SCREAM! This one even appears in a book I'm reading at the moment.

Not to mention all the "c u" "u 2" and other text talk.

Am I just getting old or does it annoy anyone else?

Post Thanks / Like
    U wot?

Seriously though I don't think it's the Internet I just think the Internet is showcasing it more.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think that the internet is just the first place where we have been able to see a huge range of different people writing. Most people are totally informal on the internet and I do usually let the odd grammar mistake slide that I wouldn't do in an academic essay or a letter. Doesn't stop it annoying me when people make really silly mistakes, though. I think it really has demonstrated that some people have actually passed through the education system without learning even the most basic spellings.

They're, their, there is the most common one that annoys me.

(I bet that knowing my luck I haven't noticed a massive grammar mistake there and now I look like a hypocrite.)
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Disney International College Program: May 2011 working in Attractions (Voyage of the Little Mermaid & Disney Junior: Live on Stage!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't like "u." For some reason that just irritates me to no end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cross cultures, and cohort groups and multi-techno input!

It's not so much that deviations from the norm bother me as they confuse me (being less than in tune to pop culture). I often don't understand what someone is writing about if they don't stick to at least basic rules of grammar. I simply don't read it if I can't understand it.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm more concerned that younger people are losing the ability to communicate in person.

Spelling mistakes don't bother me terribly. It's more the cU lAtEr thing that drives me crazy
    Spelling issues I have tend to be bad typing lol or this iphone having a mind of it's own lol

I am a travel agent with The Magic For Less Travel. Please private message me if you'd like help booking a trip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you seen any recent resumes? It's enough to make you cry!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't get me started :mad:

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkfan, post: 248571
    Have you seen any recent resumes? It's enough to make you cry!!!!
    Yes! But sadly they're not just from young people

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll be the odd one out then why does it get you so wound up? Language changes, shakespeare doesn't read the same as harry potter things evolve and change. I suppose sometimes language changes to include new things that didn't exist before and sometimes it evolves to better suit the needs of the people speaking it. Text talk was useful when it meant less key presses and if people understand it by text then why shouldn't they understand it on the internet or in a letter.

What winds me up is people moaning on about younger people and their spelling to try and suggest their content isn't worth considering. An Internet forum isn't an English exam, so try seeing through the grammar and appreciate the meaning.

cya l8r

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast