Thread: How to keep feeling ok during a long flight

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anyone got any hints or tips for staying well during a long flight? we do try and get up to stretch our legs but still end up with skin feeling so dry and horrible, eyes all scratchy and generally not well. Any hints appreciated

Post Thanks / Like
    Drink plenty of water and take a small bottle of really good moisturiser with you for you hands and face, I also take a low dose of allergy tablet before I fly.
    The only thing i haven't managed to sort is the feeling my ears are blocked.

Post Thanks / Like
    great advice thanks any recommendation for moisturiser? are we allowed to even take them onboard?

Post Thanks / Like
    I use norwegian formula 75ml bottle and I've never had any problems, I just pop it in the clear bag given at the airport and it's always been ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    I always pack some refreshing face wipes, eye drops or spray, lip salve and moisturiser, drink lots of water, stay away from caffeinated drinks and alcohol...sadly. I try and just keep to the fresh aspect of the meal too as they're usually full of salt. All of it very boring but it helps I think.

Post Thanks / Like
    On a long flight, if you wear contact lenses, it is helpful if you take them out, if only for a portion of the flight. Your eyes will thank you! Bring some eye drops and some saline nasal spray to combat dryness.

I use Vaseline products for my moisturizers. They make a great hand cream (called Healthy Hand and Nail conditioning) in a pink tube.

If water makes you nauseous, bring some Crystal Light or similar packets to add to the water for a nice, light drink. Stash some protein bars in your carry-on and avoid salty snacks if you can (they can cause water retention; no fun!). Pack some mints or ginger snaps to counteract a rumbling tummy. Carry some wet towelettes with you so you can do a quick little refresh with little fanfare - it will feel like you took a shower after being on a flight for many hours!

Bring some entertainment with you -- books (or an e-reader), magazines, iPod or similar with music or movies. Headphones (Bose, Sony, etc.) are great for blocking out noise so you can catch a quick nap. For ear pressure issues, try Ear Planes (available at a drugstore and at some airports).
    Happy DVC Members since 1992! (OKW)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lozzy, post: 248733
    Drink plenty of water and take a small bottle of really good moisturiser with you for you hands and face, I also take a low dose of allergy tablet before I fly.
    The only thing i haven't managed to sort is the feeling my ears are blocked.

I recommend ear planes for your ears and the general pressure in your head.
    Ear Planes*Disposable Ear Plugs | Walgreens

I always buy them and then put them in before the door closes.