Thread: Moving Opinions...

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, so I'm moving in the summer and have looked into a furnished place for the year, due to the fact that I would have to move again in another year (hopefully to a long term working position).

This has lead to a different set of moving concerns. I would need to store my stuff, locally to decrease the price. I have thought of two options and was wondering what people's thoughts/suggestions are.

First option: pack stuff, pay for movers to take it to a local storage unit, have them load it into the storage unit, then a year later pay a long distance moving company to take it to my next place. I would need to come back to the area to help facilitate this transcation.

Second option: pack stuff, pay a moving/storage company to store my stuff in their warehouse. Then when my second move comes in another year, call them and have them move my stuff to my longer term place. This option is higher than the first option in the short, but seems like in long term it would be a cheaper option. I would not have to come back to the area for this transcation.

Both areas would be climate controlled, which is a must as it is all my world belongs except for a few personal items that I would be taking with me.

So what do people think? Sometimes when we're so close to things we don't always see what others might.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try to cost it out both ways. That might give you a better idea which option is best in the long run. If there is only a few dollars difference it may make sense to choose the store it in their warehouse option. Is there any chance that whoever hires you might be willing to pay for the move in either case?

My Facebook Profile: Facebook

To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world. - Heather Cortez

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace. - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Would it involve much more expense to move your own belongings into an unfurnished place? A year seems a long time to be without your possessions.
    [CENTER]

Post Thanks / Like
    How far is the distance between the 2 locations?

Post Thanks / Like
    The employer isn't going to pay, so that option is definitely out.

To move it long distance is a few thousand. It's very expensive to do that twice in about a years time.

My stuff would be in IL and I will be in WV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, another option is to take the absolutely "can't live withouts" with you, and sell the rest. You'd have some money in your pocket and wouldn't have to pay to store it.

It's a bit of a "radical" approach, but in the long run, most possessions are things that can be replaced. Those that can't are the things you take.

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle

Post Thanks / Like
    I am giving a couple items to family and some things I'm giving to Salvation Army.