Thread: A dilemma

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all.

I have been toying with the idea of returning to work after being a sahm for nearly 13 years but I'm struggling to overcome some hurdles and thought I'd turn to you all for advice.

My primary reasons for considering working is to get me out of the house, meet some new people and stop each day blending into one! Secondary to those is the extra income.

Here are my problems. DH works overseas. He comes home every other Saturday for the day and then flies back to Berlin. My son has Autism and I cannot use run of the mill childcare for evenings, weekends or school holidays. I do not get direct payments and respite care paid privately costs approx 10 an hour in our area. I have no family to fall back on. Both parents are deceased.

Before I had my second child I worked as a classroom assistant and loved the job immensely but having looked into it as an option being term time only I would now need a minimum of an NVQ Level 2 qualification for a teaching support worker, something I don't have or needed 13 years ago. To gain this qualification I would need to do a 2 year part time college course thus delaying getting a job for those two years.

Has anyone found themselves in a similar situation or can see a possible solution please share.

Many, many thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes but no. I stayed at home for 10 years with my two and obviously understand having a hubbie that is away a lot of the time. I would say that it's hard enough going back to work without all your money going to a carer/child minder. I think the college course will get you out and meet new people and at least when you go and try and find a job you will have that qualification. The job Market is rubbish at the moment too. Just my thoughts on it anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    How much time in the week does the college course take up Claire?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lisaw, post: 249758
    How much time in the week does the college course take up Claire?
    Not altogether sure at the moment Lisa. It's ten hrs voluntary or paid work placement at a school for pupil 5-16 (19 if special school) plus however many hrs the course work will take each week. I can only get voluntary so no earning potential for two years if I take that route. But as Brit says, I will at least have a qualification at the end.

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely and you are covering your primary reason of getting out and meeting new people and it would also help with confidence of going back to work after a long break (not saying that's an issue with you but it definitely was for me after a 10 year abscence!)
    Good luck with whatever you decide to do

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Post Thanks / Like
    hi, i started working voluntary in my sons infant school this led to a lunchtime job which was paid. as i was doing so much time voluntary i looked into a college course. i managed to do a level 2 nvq teaching asisstant. i was required to do 10 hours per week hands on work at school and 1 morning [9-12] at my local adult education centre. this was for 1 academic year. i then went on to complete my level 3 which took another year. it was hard to fit in all the study, homework and placment, but it didnt affect my family life too much. hope this helps x

Post Thanks / Like
    Go for the credentials, Claire. It will get you out of the house, give you the newest info, and get the gears oiled again, eh?

Welcome to our new home! It's a lovely and friendly place. If you haven't joined yet, do register. It's a great place to make friends and share all those Disney secrets!!

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. ~Aristotle